PDA

View Full Version : Spar Urethane

StirCrazy
01-19-2002, 08:58 PM
I am starting to paint the wood that will be against my stand (as I can't paint it once it is assembled) and I was wondering how many coats of spar urethane I need. I am not worried about looks as this side will be against the steel. it is only for the protection of the wood. can I get away with one good coat?

Steve

Troy F
01-19-2002, 10:13 PM
I'd give it at least three with a light sanding in between coats.

StirCrazy
01-19-2002, 10:21 PM
I didn't want to hear that images/smiles/icon_sad.gif I have to do it outside and it takes forever to dry..

what is the sanding for? I am not trying to get a great finnish as this will be against the steel anyways. hmmm maby I will just let this dry and then put it togeather and then recoat and exposed areas.. hmmmm

Steve

Troy F
01-19-2002, 10:51 PM
Steve, the sanding ensures that you get a good seal. I would imagine that one coat will just soak in to the wood, you'll barely be able to tell you put a coat on.

StirCrazy
01-19-2002, 10:53 PM
I was just looking at it and it has a nice shinny surface.. I did put a *good* coat on images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

but ya I am going to bring it in for the night and I will look at it in the morning again

Steve

Troy F
01-19-2002, 11:54 PM
If you put it on too thick it will never dry properly.

StirCrazy
02-02-2002, 08:43 PM
Ok I used spar polyurathaine for the inside and I sanded inbetween the 3 coats, for the outside I bought a water based polyurathaine as I wanted to keep the color of the wood with no yellowing.
my question is how many coats do I need? I have 2 already and I am doing one more tonight.. should that be good enuf fora durable finnish?

Steve