PDA

View Full Version : Clown Eggs

Renegade
08-30-2005, 06:23 PM
So my clowns where acting a little heated yesturday nipping at the live rock and then swimming back and forth over the same spot. I though nothing of it as the though of my clowns spawing had never ever entered my mind. I have two Ocellaris bought at different times and have been together for probly 8 months or more. They each have an anemone of there own and a fairly tame tank with a yellow tang, a sunrise dottyback, 6 line wrassp, 3 chromis and a pair of mandarin dragonets. there are no shrimp of any kind as my dottyback like to eat them. everyone gets alone well. but anyways back to the clowns. So i go into my room last night for feeding time (tank is located in my room) and i spot the clowns swimming back and forth over the same spot on the rock, as i take a closer look there are brightly colored orange eggs. So i've been doing some research and all the sign are there for the early stages (day 1) of the mating cycle.

So my question is how hard is it actually raise them and what kind of steps do i have to take. I have read different ways inwhich to do it online but i just wanted to get some first hand expierence from someone out there. As to wether raising them is something i'll be able to do. I have been in the hobby for just under a year. What kind of things do i need to purchase? Whats it going to cost me? And any other info or expierence anyone would like to share. I happen to be on vacation for the next 10 days so i have plenty of time so daily matence should be ok.

Is it even worth my while trying this or should i just let the life cycle go on and let them be the next mean in my tank.

Kyle

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-30-2005, 07:00 PM
If you really want to raise the fry, you'll need to set up a separate breeding tank with a simple sponge filter, bare bottom & clay pot. The odds of successfully raising clownfish fry in a community tank is much less than 1 percent. Also, you'll need to raise live rotifers as their first food (starting the feeding regimen a couple days after hatch when they exhaust their yolk sac). When they get bigger, you can switch them over to cyclopeeze. This is a time-consuming, labour intensive process but it would be very rewarding if you are successful. I would write-off this first batch & get ready for next time, if you really want to try.

Anthony