PDA

View Full Version : HOW CAN I KNOW IF MY ANEMONE IS STILL ALIVE???????

dacyn46
08-29-2005, 08:57 PM
HELLO!!! I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO... I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING I WAS TOLD TO KEEP MY FISHTANK CLEAN,, I HAVE THAT HORRIBLE GREEN ALGAE, I CLEAN AND AFTER A FEW MINUTES IT IS THERE AGAIN,, I BOUGHT A BEAUTIFUL ANEMONE YESTERDAY,, IT'S A BIG ONE,, NOW IT'S COMPLETELY CLOSED,, I CANT SEE ITS TENTACLES ANYMORE,, I DONT KNOW IF IT'S STILL ALIVE,,, IT HAS THE SAME COLOR BUT IT'S COMPLETELY WRAPPED,, ,, CAN ANYBODY HELP ME?? I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO?? HOW CAN I KNOW IF IT'S DEAD?? OR WHAT??????? :cry: ,, IF SOMEBODY HAS AN EXPERIENCE LIKE THAT WITH AN ANEMONE PLEASE,, HELP MEEEEE... THANKS A LOT
DACYN 46 :frown: [/b]

mr_alberta
08-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Do you have any pictures of your anemone? Also, is it still attatched to a piece of rock? Does your anemone look like it is flipped inside out?

muck
08-29-2005, 09:34 PM
did you ever figure out what kind of algae you have??

Johnny Reefer
08-29-2005, 10:29 PM
How old is your set-up?
What size is your tank?
What are your water test readings?
What are your stocking levels? (What other livestock do you have?)

Cheers,

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-30-2005, 12:16 AM
My LTA used to close up completely half the time, but then it would open up to 14". If you give us more info, then you can get a better educated guess.

Anthony

StirCrazy
08-30-2005, 02:43 AM
hmm this would be better served being moved to the reef section instead of the DIY section.

Steve

deacon hemp
08-30-2005, 05:43 AM
Do you even know what type of anenome it is? If not you probably shouldnt have bought it!

Reefhawk1
08-30-2005, 12:34 PM
IF it smells like it is rotting then it is time to dispose of it befor it kills everything in your tank :eek: check your water parameters especialy salt levels anemones do not like drastic changes in water parameters.

OCDP
08-30-2005, 06:03 PM
I am wanting to know how old your tank has been setup... and what your water paramaters are. As mentioned, if the anemone stinks and looks like it is decomposing.. get rid of it as it will only pollute your tank and kill everything else.

Scott

dacyn46
08-31-2005, 07:58 AM
Sorry about not getting back sooner K here it goes first it is a 46 gallon the water params are great checked them today all is still great nitrite 0.01 nitrate 0.01 ph 8.2 amonia all with in norms and the temp between 80-82 tough one to keep with the weather we were having here in chills ville ummm selenium 1.0023 the anemone is fantastic and beautiful it is a blue tipped condy sorry no pics yet will get them soon I guess it was looking for a good place to roost and it has found it it is hosting my large maroon clown as well I have a small maroon , coral beauty , 3 blue devil damsels , inverts include 10 snails turbos and astreas ( snails are getting eaten by scarlet shrimp and the blue legged and zebra hermits) :cry: just got a sea hair to contend with the green hair algae that is driving me crazy have asked all at the LFS that I frequent and I have tried all that has been recomended ( the sea hare , hang on red sea protien skimmer , emerald crab , and calcium (sea chem reef calcium) a capful a night , brushing the rocks , blowing off the algae with turkey baster , chemi clean , feeding the fish every second day , phosphate remover added to the fluval canister) I do regular water changes with ro ultra violet light 5% weekly all this to no avail I also have 50 pounds live rock and crushed coral 2" deep all help greatly appreciated I have a fluval 404 which is cleaned and checked and the charcoal riinsed as well as doing all the media maintenance as well as a hagen 802 and a rio 620 for water circulation I have done all that I have been told in the 5 months that I have been up and running but will certainly do more if I am given and idea of what it is that I can do to improve the conditions in my reef for my reef I love this hobby with a passion and am not going to give it up over algae and other pesky problems with the great info and experience that you guys hold I hope to conquer theese problems Dacyn46

muck
08-31-2005, 02:58 PM
Are you running a sump or a refugium?

also

I read somewhere that many people have problems with the crushed coral substrate as it can trap detrius and fuel algae blooms. I'll try to find an article or so for you to read.

My setup is algae free and I haven't got around to getting my skimmer up and running yet. I drilled the tank for a sump and fuge (which Im growing chaeto macro algae in). In the main tank I have about 2" of sugar sand and love the look a lot more than the CC. A month or two ago I picked up a polyp rock that was so covered in hair algae that you couldn't tell there was polyps under there. I just put it in my tank and within 2 weeks the hair algae just disapeared. Just thought Id share my experience with my tank as it might help you out with yours.