PDA

View Full Version : Sun Coral for Trade

doch
08-29-2005, 07:30 PM
So, I've got this sun coral that I would really like to keep, but work is keeping me out of town too much lately, so I'm unable to spend enough time feeding it properly. Anyone out there have anything they'd be willing to trade? Let me know.

Reefhawk1
08-29-2005, 08:09 PM
pm sent :cool:

HimSelf
08-29-2005, 08:43 PM
How long have you had this sun coral? I'm thinking to get one. Are they hard to keep? What kind of lighting?

Cheers

fatpuffer
08-29-2005, 08:45 PM
from what i've read...they require partial shade but strong current.

js

doch
08-29-2005, 08:59 PM
They don't need light at all, but it has been doing fine directly under pc's. Definetly strong flow though. I've had it for a few months now.

OCDP
08-29-2005, 09:55 PM
Mine likes being partially shaded / partially lighted... it seems to like the light. And it does appreciate a stronger flow.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Should be target fed on a regular basis. Non-photosynthetic but needs mysis or some other food.

Anthony

OCDP
08-30-2005, 12:03 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but when you feed your sun coral do you feed every single polyp? or do you just try and get food (flake,mysis,cyclopeeze) on the majority of polyps?

HimSelf
08-30-2005, 12:44 AM
I saw one at the LFS and been back there a few times but never seen it open. Is it in bad health?

mr_alberta
08-30-2005, 01:12 AM
Unless trained, sun corals only open at night.

You also only need to feed a few of the polyps and not each individual polyp.

HimSelf
08-30-2005, 01:13 AM
trained?? How do you do that?

pocilipora
08-30-2005, 11:19 PM
With a leash :lol:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-31-2005, 12:22 AM
To train: Squirt a little "juice" on the sun coral, then wait for it to open up before really feeding the coral. Actually, I think that it's best to try to feed all or as many polyps as possible. If its a really healthy coral that has all the polyps interconnected, then it should be fine to feed a few heads. However, if the heads are separated, then I think that each head should be fed. (JMO)

Anthony

Xtasia
08-31-2005, 12:49 AM
Argh what's with all these "rules"!

I've had healthy sun coral for over a year. These are my findings.
- didn't care if it was up top under metal halides, or in a deep dark cave.
- prefered high/med flow.
- did not only open up at night.
- did not need training. mine opened up when I fed my fish.
- when polyps were extended I fed meaty foods once or twice a week with a turkey baster.
- Try to feed all your polyps. Doesn't hurt it. I found the polyps which are fed tend to bud.
- VERY sensitive to freshwater ^.^.

pocilipora
08-31-2005, 02:04 AM
To train: Squirt a little "juice" on the sun coral, then wait for it to open up before really feeding the coral. Actually, I think that it's best to try to feed all or as many polyps as possible. If its a really healthy coral that has all the polyps interconnected, then it should be fine to feed a few heads. However, if the heads are separated, then I think that each head should be fed. (JMO)

Anthony
Thats not training, you cant train a coral.