PDA

View Full Version : in need of a sand-sifter

jess128
08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
I've had to put my tank on hold for a while (due to a little accident in my dad's car that I must pay for.... :crazyeye: ) I've been keeping the parameters stable and such but I can't add anything new. Anyway, the substrate is getitng pretty icky with this brown algae and thin lays across the bottom. I think I need a sand-sifter or something. Right now I have 2 clowns, a yellow tang, a whole bunch of snails, hermit crabs, and an emerald crab. I did have an orange-spotted goby, but he just disappeared after a while... I've decided I can put some money towards something to get my substrate looking better. What should I get?

Willow
08-29-2005, 05:54 PM
i have a tiger cuc that does a great job of keeping the sand nice.

DanG
08-29-2005, 06:52 PM
My strawberry conch does a good job digging in the sand.

muck
08-29-2005, 06:59 PM
My strawberry conch does a good job digging in the sand.
I was going to suggest one of those as well. I have one and he is constantly cleaning the sand bed. If I remember correctly you have a 65G tank? I wouldn't put more than one in there because they need a lot of open sandbed to feed on. Either a strawberry or a Fighting conch would be an x-o-lent choice IMO.

jess128
08-29-2005, 10:48 PM
yes, it is a 65g, how would you remember that? haha. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into those- but I dont want a cucumber, haha.

mark
09-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Do the conch keep the sand clean by actually feeding on the surface or is it by them turning the sand over in their travels?

muck
09-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Do the conch keep the sand clean by actually feeding on the surface or is it by them turning the sand over in their travels?
My conch is constaintly feeding on the surface of the sand.
He also likes to bury once in awhile and turn over sand that way as well.

mr_alberta
09-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Cerith and Nassarius snails will also stir the sand bed if you can't find a suitable conch...