PDA

View Full Version : bowfronts leak ???

scub steve
08-29-2005, 01:58 AM
I am currently goign to buy a bowfront but i have heard a few people say they have problems with them leaking i have owned one and had no such problem just looking for some feedback

Jason McK
08-29-2005, 02:27 AM
I had 2 72G Oceanic Bows leak 4 months almost to the day
Almost ended my Reef Aquarium life (or I guess my Wife almost ending my Reef aquarium Life)

Jason

EmilyB
08-29-2005, 02:54 AM
We had a 155g and a 72g (both All-Glass) for about five years. We never had a leak in that time.

4ptbuck
08-29-2005, 03:09 AM
I've got a 37g bow for about a year now. Leak free.
My brother had it before me, for several year... leak free.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-29-2005, 05:50 AM
I picked up some great buys from Canreefers whose 175g bowfront developed a leak after less than 2 years.

reeferaddict
08-29-2005, 06:16 AM
I bought a 72 that WAS leaking... eventually I had to strip out all the silicone and completely reseal to finally fix it... but 4 months now without a leak...

LostMind
08-29-2005, 06:27 AM
my friend (posts on here as emptymind) had his 175 bowfront spring a leak.

JSTR
08-29-2005, 06:43 AM
I'm running a 72 all glass bowfront for close to two years now no problem. It was originally a freshwater tank then converted to saltwater without a single drip on the floor. I also got this tank used and the peep before me had it running without any probs aswell.

Seems it just like any tank sometimes they do sometimes they dont. Hopefully you get a good one.

Chin_Lee
08-29-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm running a 72 all glass bowfront for close to two years now no problem. It was originally a freshwater tank then converted to saltwater without a single drip on the floor. I also got this tank used and the peep before me had it running without any probs aswell.

Seems it just like any tank sometimes they do sometimes they dont. Hopefully you get a good one.

Scub Steve
There are many tanks that do not leak and in fact, most tanks do NOT leak at all. However the higher number of leaks associated with bowfronts compared to flatfronts should be of great concern to anybody looking to get a bowfront tank. After collecting as much information as possible, only then can you make an informed decision based on your own experience as well as many others' experience (ie conduct a search on RC for the words "bowfront and leak").
Only you can mitigate the risks involved depending on many factors some of which are (but not limited to):
1) your housing situation. Whether you rent or own may be a factor in your decision. Also if you have a tenant in your basement may be a factor
2) tank location wheter you plan to put it on the top floor or basement of a house or you are in the penthouse of apartment complex.
3) your insurance coverage on a tank leak and potential civil liability in the event that a tank leak affected 20 apartment units below yours

There are many factors of which only you can determine if the associated risks outweigh the esthetics of a bow front tank.

Hope that helps.
CWLee

scub steve
08-29-2005, 10:16 PM
hey everyone thanks for the input the guy im buying it from have been running it for a while leak free but he is switching to a bigger tank ill keep a close eye on it and let you all know how it goes

Willow
08-30-2005, 05:30 AM
wow with the know history of problems with some bowfronts designs why would you even consider getting one?

Samw
09-05-2005, 03:15 AM
The JBJ Nano Cubes have a slightly bowed front. 20% of the users from nano-reef who responded to this poll have reported a cracked tank. The bowfront might not have anything to do with it. But who knows.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60715&highlight=cracked+and+jbj