PDA

View Full Version : Missing Pond Comets

BMW Rider
08-28-2005, 09:50 PM
I went out this morning to feed my pond fish and could not see any when I tossed in the food. This is a bit odd since they are usually there waiting with open mouths for breakfast. A bit more thourough search of the pond revealed nothing more than a few loose scales on the bottom of the pond. :mad: :evil: :cry: It appeared that something had dined on sushi overnight, but what. The obvious suspect would seem to be some kind of bird.

Later this morning I was upstairs looking out the bedroom window at my empty pond when I spied the murdererous thief. It was a weasel of some sort. :eek: I did a bit more research today and have determined that the only semi-aquatic weasel in Alberta (aside form river otters) is a mink. I have a baited trap ($50 from canadian tire) ready for its return hunting trip. Until its caught, I won't be restocking the pond for fear of fattening it up some more.

Anyone need a mink skin for a coat? :lol: Actually I'll probably just find a suitable spot to relocate it... far away from my yard. :rolleyes:

Murminator
09-06-2005, 05:12 PM
:eek: Thats wild my neighbour had problems with seagulls but never minks

BMW Rider
09-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Its been over a week now and I haven't caught it. There were signs that it was still around early last week, but none since. I did find its lair and four of the six missing fish. It had stashed them for later enjoyment. I used one of them to bait the trap, but the mink seems to have moved on. I will probably wait until spring now before replacing them just the same. I plan to rebuild the pond then too, so my winter tank is going to go empty this year. I had those fish for five years and they were getting to be a pretty good size, all were between 6 - 10 inches. #@&*!$ Mink.

Shy_Koi
09-08-2005, 01:28 AM
I'm really sorry to hear about your pond fish :sad:
I've had mine for 4 yrs - I can only imagine how you feel.

Mink will kill for the sheer pleasure of it - they've decimated my chicken and pheasant pens before.
Don't give up on live trapping that animal just yet. Mink have large territories (esp males), and can often take a week to 10 days to make the "circuit" back to their den. They like fresh foodstuffs, so it wouldn't hurt to freshen the bait daily, in the trap. Try some sardines...

Good luck trapping that varmint!

~Tamara