PDA

View Full Version : Lemonpeel Angel and Black Leopard Wrasse

Samw
08-28-2005, 07:20 AM
I suspect the Lemonpeel is doing damage to my clams. I haven't caught him doing anything bad yet but something's taking pieces out of my clams while I'm not watching. He's the first suspect. I got him on Feb 24. He's nice and fat.

Lemonpeel: (SOLD)

I also have a Black Leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon negrosensis) that's outgrown my tank. He's about 3". He's nice and fat. I've had this one since Nov 11, 2003. Again, I am selling him to someone with an established tank.

Black Leopard Wrasse: (SOLD)

psuedo
08-28-2005, 09:18 AM
I will take the leopard wrasse of your hands.

Craig

DEAD_BY_DAWN
08-28-2005, 03:35 PM
I was over a sams the other night,both fish are great looking but the Lemonpeel has the most intence colour i have ever seen,a great buy for anyone.

Willow
08-28-2005, 04:32 PM
may i suggest a big net and load it with mysis or whatever he likes to eat and just hang it in the water with the food in there for awhile, after awhile he will either jump in or you turn the net and he will swim in.

Samw
09-15-2005, 07:22 PM
I've got the Lemonpeel in a net in my tank right now so its available until I bring it into the store for credit.

Now $25 to someone with a well aerated tank. I was going to give it to my brother but he turns off his skimmer at night and that will kill angels for sure.

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/FullTank/200504/img_7309_std.jpg

Bob I
09-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Now $25 to someone with a well aerated tank. I was going to give it to my brother but he turns off his skimmer at night and that will kill angels for sure.

:question: I had a Lemonpeel for about a year in a tank without a skimmer. I then sold him to a friend who put him into a tank without a skimmer. He is still going strong today. :eek:

Reefhawk1
09-15-2005, 09:11 PM
I had a lemon peel for three years without a skimmer and it was an extremely hardy fish. Aeration is not a factor in keeping Centropyge Angels but excellent water quality is.

Stan

Samw
09-15-2005, 10:42 PM
In my tank they are factor. Every morning that I forget to turn my aerators on after feeding from the night before, I find my angels gasping like crazy unable to swim properly and eat. On mornings that I leave aerators on, they are fine. Twice I left the aerators off too long and both times my Flames died. They definitely need aeration of some sort. It doesn't have to be skimmers. But powerheads are not enough. Do I need to turn off my aerators and take some video the next morning for proof?? Only my Angels (and MI when I had it) have this problem. Everything else is fine. Reading forums, I hear about Flame angels dying mysteriously all the time overnight. They don't die mysteriously. They die from lack of oxygen.

I could just put the Angel in my brother's tank and see how it goes. But I can almost guarantee it won't make it through the night although his other fish are perfectly fine.

I knew people would dispute this. I considered taking video last time but I didn't because it might be upsetting to watch. I wanted to show how angels gasped while other fish are fine in the morning. I could show that after I turn on my aeration, they recovered. Then I wouldn't sound too much like a broken record. If a fish gasps consistently in the morning under consistent set of conditions while other fish are fine, chances are the the differences between the 2 conditions (being the aerator being on and off) are what is causing that fish to gasp. In other words, some fish are going to need more o2 than others. If your angel hasn't died, that probably means, you have enough oxygen in your tank for that fish. It doesn't mean that this fish doesn't have higher o2 demands. In a heavily stocked tank, the most oxygen demanding fish WILL die first under low aerated conditions. This and the gasping is how I concluded that the Angels need more oxygen than the clowns, the gobies, and the wrasses, etc in my tank.

In my brother's tank, he only has a skimmer and a powerhead. No way, the Angel will survive if you shut off that skimmer at night.

Note that in my tank, the DO levels are 40% in the morning with my skimmer on. It is much less with it off. In the Reefkeeping article, the clownfish tank had about 16% DO saturation at night without an aerating device (but had 2 powerheads used at the surface). With the skimmer running, it was 90%.

marie
09-16-2005, 01:08 AM
I don't suppose you would be interested in shipping the angel would you Sam?

trilinearmipmap
09-16-2005, 02:29 AM
YGPM

As far as the oxygenation I am sure it depends on many factors including surface area of the tank as well as whatever aeration occurs as water gets sucked down the drain tube mixed with air, anyway it is clear that angels need highly oxygenated water from what I have read.

ldzielak
09-16-2005, 05:19 AM
Sam I would love to have him/her if still available (Lemon Peel and/or Flame too). I have plenty of air in my tanks. Let me know I'm in town Friday afternoon, to pickup some other fish from Seahorse Fanatic.

Give me a cal on my cell, I can meet you at work again if you like.

Lee
604-808-1989