PDA

View Full Version : Bakpack or Prizm???

fresh
08-28-2005, 06:45 AM
Hi all,

I plan on setting up a 72 gal reef and was woundering which skimmer to go with? I will have about 100lbs of lr and a 4" aragonite dsp.

I have used the Prizm on a 10gal nano before and I was happy with it, however I don't know if it will handle the 72gal!!!

I already have the Prizm, but don't mind buying the Bakpack if I can justify the cost.

Please let me know what you think, and how big a difference there is between the two products.

Thanks in advance.

Fresh.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Prism is useless on a larger tank from everything I've heard & read.

Anthony

Aquattro
08-28-2005, 07:09 AM
A prism will not work well on a 72g tank.

waltermus
08-28-2005, 07:15 AM
I say go for a ASM / Euroreef type skimmer, those things kick butt. Or if you're on a budget try a Coralife Super Skimmer, i have the smaller version and it's really good. :smile: good luck!!

fresh
08-30-2005, 12:45 AM
thank you all for the reply (against) the prizm... However, nobody answered if a bakpak would be any better? I might have access to a bakpak, so would that be much better than my prizm or more or less the same? Is it worth spending some money to get the bakpak?

I guess the question is: how much different is a bakpak compared to a prizm???

thanks again.
MO

Veng68
08-30-2005, 12:49 AM
both would be very under powered for a 72 gallon.

If it has to be a hang on the back skimmer........ get a remora pro.

Cheers.
Vic [veng68]

Saltysteve
08-30-2005, 01:12 AM
I think you would be best off with a CSS (Coralife Super Skimmer). Many have rated the CSS above Remora Pro Prizm's Seaclones etc.
I know I am quite happy with mine! Do some searching and reading on RC!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-30-2005, 01:31 AM
Will the tank be heavily stocked (with fish) or lightly stocked? That will also determine how powerful a skimmer is good for your intended setup. Yeah, the Remora Pro & Coralife Super Skimmer seem to be the 2 best HOB (although you'll have to keep an eye on preventing an overflowing collection cup on the CSS from what I've been told).

Anthony

impreza
08-30-2005, 02:44 AM
Remora Pro does a great job IMO.

fresh
08-30-2005, 02:38 PM
THANK you all :smile:

fresh
08-30-2005, 04:01 PM
oh by the way, I forgot to mention that it will probably be lightly stocked.

I am thinking of starting with the Prizm (that I already own) and see how it does, then may be decide. I will have a lot of rocks and not that many fish. I will have to see how the Prizm does and if I need an upgrade, I know now not to go to a bakpak, but to actually may be try the remora pro.

Thanks again.
MO

sumpfinfishe
08-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Euroreef or ASM for a 72gl, anything else and your just wasting your time and money- IMO

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-31-2005, 11:52 PM
But Rich, are these (ASM/Euroreef) HOB or in-sump skimmers. It sounds like Fresh is looking for a HOB skimmer since the choices he's presented are both HOBs. If he is looking for an in-sump, then yes, he can get a much better (but also more $$) skimmer.

Fresh, could you please clarify what type of skimmer you're looking for?

fresh
09-01-2005, 02:44 AM
Anthony, you are correct. I am looking for a HOB skimmer. I already own a prizm, but considering the upgrade... I might just run the system with the prizm for a while and then upgrade. But wanted to know in advance what my next options are.