PDA

View Full Version : Can't run skimmer right after a water change

DanG
08-28-2005, 03:59 AM
Is that normal?
It's a prizim HOB skimmer with the deluxe upgrade(skimming basked and media inster), I've also done the mod by adding a 2 inch section or riser tube.
I find that if I run the pump right after a 5 gallon (out of 40) change, the collector cup just fills with water and no skimmate. It usually takes a day or so to be able run properly again.

Skimmerking
08-28-2005, 04:06 AM
yes that is normal,,,

not to worry

Keana
08-28-2005, 05:08 PM
I have the same skimmer and gave up on it. Sometimes it runs like a dream and others its a nightmare! I am running carbon and ecosystem frequent water changes. The skimmer is now off the tank and sitting around here somewhere.

mark
08-29-2005, 05:15 AM
I'm using ro/di for changes with no problem on the skimmer. When I was using treated tap water, would have problems like yours.

mr_alberta
08-29-2005, 05:23 AM
Water conditioner caused the skimmer to go crazy. Must be some sort of oil or compound in it that causes this.

Keana
08-29-2005, 06:01 AM
I use RO/DI water for my tank also. That was some of the best advice I got from a friend with a tank. Because I have limitless amount of RO/DI water I do water changes 2 a week. It helps my tank is only 27gal!

DanG
08-29-2005, 12:47 PM
I'd love to get an ro/di unit, but in an appartment where I have no water valve to turn off while plumbing it in, I'm stuck using the tap water conditioner and my aquarium pharm tap water filert/de ionizer.

mr_alberta
08-29-2005, 01:35 PM
You can always get an R/O unit with a faucet adapter so it just screws onto the faucet in your kitchen. When you are done with the RO unit, just unhook it a put it aside...

mark
08-29-2005, 01:56 PM
No shut off value between the wall and the kitchen faucet, strange.

Just received a ro/di unit but waiting for the new house to hook it up. What I have been doing though, is using store bought water.

DanG
08-29-2005, 02:46 PM
No shut off value between the wall and the kitchen faucet, strange.

Just received a ro/di unit but waiting for the new house to hook it up. What I have been doing though, is using store bought water.

I may try that. I'm only changing 5 gallons at a time, so it's not like the 3 bucks is going to kill me.