PDA

View Full Version : would this valve work

StirCrazy
01-21-2002, 02:04 AM
Ok I found a plastic valve that is selanoid operated. I was thinking I could use twoof thease and alternate the open close of them and creat a change of flow direction in my tank. this is the info on the valve

Valve Features
High Flow with low pressure loss.
Normally closed.
Electric or manual operation.
Easy in line maintenance.
Smooth valve opening and closing prevents pressure surge hazards.
Rugged reinforced and supported self cleaning diaphragm provides reliable operation even with dirty water.
Flow control handle for water flow adjustment and manual shutoff.
Manual internal bleed override for opening valve in case of power failure without external water spill.
Solenoid Features
Low sensitivity to dirt and voltage fluctuations.
Replacement plunger tip.
Silicone "O" ring.
Heavy duty construction.
Solenoid - 24 VAC(50-60 cycles)
Current - .032A (7.7 VA)
Holding Current - 0.16A (3.84 VA)
Power Consumption - 1.7 / 2.2 watts
Solenoid thread 3/4" - 20 UNES-2A

please let me know what you think. I can get the valves for between 35 and 40 us each. I was thinking of using a switching relay to alternate them, that way one would switch on while the other switched off.

Steve

Reefmaster
01-21-2002, 02:15 AM
steve
i spent quite a bit of time looking for solenoid valves for automating our system...just a thought, but with 3/4" and 24v, could you get away with using an irrigation solenoid? probably not quite as fancy, but a whole bunch cheaper, and they come with the same configuration. shane

DJ88
01-21-2002, 02:16 AM
My questions before I say anything else are:

What size pipe do they attach to?

Max GPH flow rate?

Max pressure?

How do they handle back pressure?

With that one thing to think about is if you set it up with relays you may want to think about is making sure they aren't both closed at the same time or closing at the same time.. IMO Set it up so one slowly opens while the other one is still open. Once it is fully open then close the initially open one. They may handle the pressure and possible backpressure created by closing but will the plumbing????

Sounds good tho.. I have ideas in my head already.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

[ 20 January 2002: Message edited by: DJ88 ]</p>

StirCrazy
01-21-2002, 02:42 AM
1" AC Valve. Use with any of our AC controllers. Inlet and outlet are 1" Female Pipe Threads (FPT). Includes 24 VAC solenoid, manual on and off, manual bleed, and flow control. Operating pressure 10-150 psi and flow range from .2 to 35 gpm.

sorry forgot this part

well with a switching relay I was looking at you have 2 output sets. one energized and one off.. and it just switches them. so one would always be off while the other was on. and it says they are smooth opening so I am asuming that it takes a couple seconds to open and doesent slam. this I would have to confirm again.

what are you thinking of Darren? I was going to try that sinasoidal valve but I don't like a few things about it. and the delron would be as expensive as one of thease valves.

Steve

StirCrazy
01-23-2002, 08:54 PM
Ok I was at home depot today and I found a valve for 21.00, it is a 24v selanoid operated valve for sprinkler systems. the only metal I saw in the pump was a screw and backing plate that both looked like stainless. the package said corosion resistant and it had a 6 year unconditional warenty images/smiles/icon_smile.gif (bet I could put that to the test images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ) anyways for 21 bucks even if I had to change them out once a year that would be cheep, so I guess my questions are:
1,how long would it take to start rusting (if it will)
2, if I put a little silicon over the metal and then used them would that extend the life any? or make it safe to use if you feal it is unsafe?
3, does anyone have thease in the sprinkler systems that can tell me how loud they are when they are going?

I think thease are the valves but I will have to check to make sure.

rainbird (http://www.rainbird.com/consumer/underground/valves.htm#Automatic%20In-Line%20Valves)

Steve

[ 23 January 2002: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]</p>

Reefmaster
01-23-2002, 11:19 PM
steve
you found the irrigation solenoids i was talking about. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif those are what we are going to use for automating water changes etc.
isn't the stainless on the backside of the piston so it won't be in contact with the flow?? i don't recall for certain. as for rusting, i wouldn't worry about it too much but that's just me - a bit of silicon would solve the problem enough for my liking.
i think they are damn near silent aren't they? and i think they are designed not to snap shut so the water pressure doesn't result in a hydraulic hammer through the system in the house but don't know that for sure.
hey if you're building a flow diverter maybe you could build two and i would pay ya some $$ for one. shane

Silverfish
01-24-2002, 12:25 AM
Just my $.02 , but as you probably know there are different grades of stainless and I would not use any of them where there is contact with tank water. Could you replace the stainless parts with plastic?

StirCrazy
01-24-2002, 12:42 AM
ya I was thinking about that bruce, but as I see it being a irragation valve that is ment to be burried and operate for over 6 years (hence the 6 year warenty) I would imagin that they arre using a diecent grade of stainless. having said that I had one out of the box looking at it (as I got evil looks from the employes images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ) and it woulden't be hard to open it up and coat the stainless with a smear of silicon for extra insurance.

Steve