PDA

View Full Version : Deltec Aquascape Epoxy

christyf5
08-27-2005, 06:49 PM
I picked up a pack of this last month and just got around to using it today. It was pretty pricey but that Holdfast stuff (only type of epoxy I've ever used) was just an exercise in futility IMO. So for the extra $8 I figured what the heck. Plus it was a cool purple coralline algae color! :razz:

Its a two part epoxy that comes as two separate sticks. The lovely purple color that they claim is "coralline color" is, quite frankly, just a toned down version of the blinding white color of the Holdfast. Because it isn't white it doesn't reflect the light as much but it sure doesn't look like any coralline I've ever seen (except for the dead kind :wink:). To me, it still stands out as "new additions" to the tank as much as the blinding white of the Holdfast product, albeit less blinding :biggrin: . Perhaps it gets a darker color after it cures. I'll post an update later on.

So amazingly enough this stuff actually works! I mean, it sticks to the rock, it sticks to the coral. None of this having everything all set up and then the darned thing falls over or you accidentally brush it with your hand/arm and the whole thing comes apart. Its much softer than the holdfast and can really get into lumpy areas of the rock and holds to it right away. It says it takes about 3-4 hours to cure so I'll do the "brush by" test tomorrow. I don't know how many frags I've accidentally brushed while messing around in the tank and they pop off the rock so easily it seems.

I was a bit worried as the addition of water makes the surface of it rather clay like and some of it comes off like its sort of melting but after the first few seconds it stops doing that. It even mentions that in the instructions and if you're worried about it you can dip it in a bucket or cup of water to resolve having that part in your tank. What me read instructions beforehand?? Bah :razz:

Oh and another great thing, you aren't wearing it for hours later. It washes right off :biggrin:

This stuff is well worth the extra money IMO. And now that I have my tank completely plastered with frags I probably won't need another box of it anyways as I have no real estate left. Must be time for a bigger tank :razz:

Christy :)

Johnny Reefer
08-27-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm not to happy with HoldFast either, for the same reasons.
Thanx for this review.
Where did you get it?

Cheers,

christyf5
08-27-2005, 10:36 PM
J&L :biggrin: