PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Livestock

Moogled
08-26-2005, 11:33 PM
What is some advice that you guys can give when transporting livestock for long distance?

My parents are in Vancouver and I am situated in Calgary. I have asked them to buy me some freshwater shrimp but I am worried that they may not last the 12 hour trip back home.

Should this be avoided completely or is there a way to increase the survival rate of my livestock as they are being transported?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-27-2005, 04:08 AM
Mention to the LFS that they are being transported a long distance & maybe see if they can throw in some plant sprig for the shrimp to hang onto during the ride. They should also fill their largest bag with oxygen for the trip. I find that sw shrimp that don't have something to hang onto inside the bag don't have very good survival rates.

HTH,

Anthony

Cap'n
08-27-2005, 04:33 AM
Very good advice.

A cheapo cooler and a battery powered air pump would work too.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-27-2005, 05:10 AM
If you're buying them from a LFS, ask them for their smallest shipping cooler because most LFS have too many of those taking up space after each fish shipment.

Moogled
08-27-2005, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the reply guys!

I also phoned Dennis at Gold's Aquariums in Calgary. He too mentioned that artificial/live plants for the shrimp to hold on to were a good way to go. Oxygen is a must.

In my first post, I forgot to mention that my parents are driving home from Vancouver, so Dennis told me to make sure the AC is on so as to not "cook" the shrimp.

Hopefully the little guys will live to see their new home!

-Marco

UPDATE: My parents bought two Flower Shrimp (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1842), each roughly 1.5 inches.

I was wondering if these will become a meal for my Kribensis, which are about the same size. I am worried because my pair of Kribs have already eaten a Rock Shrimp.