PDA

View Full Version : Fragging - where to start?

soriano
08-26-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm interested in getting involved with fragging...
Does any know of any good sites that would provide good info on:
A) tools
b) how to frag different types of coral?

More interested in item B)
I can do searches for tools..

kari
08-26-2005, 02:41 PM
A) stainless steel bone cutters are very handy for hard corals and don't rust http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DR-BS80&Category_Code=coralfrag
I use to buy new side cutters every time I planned to frag something because the last pair was already badly rusted.

You'll need some gel super glue aswell. Thats about it for part A.

Gizmo
08-26-2005, 03:11 PM
I use to buy new side cutters every time I planned to frag something because the last pair was already badly rusted.

I fould that if after you are done, spray your rustable tools with a WD40 and it keeps them clean, just wipe them down before you go and frag again so your not getting lubricant all over your corals ;)

dirtyreefer
08-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I fould that if after you are done, spray your rustable tools with a WD40 and it keeps them clean, just wipe them down before you go and frag again so your not getting lubricant all over your corals ;)

Isn't WD40 highly toxic? Since it's oil based, wiping it down before fragging really wouldn't remove all the toxins that could be on the shears.

Chin_Lee
08-26-2005, 04:23 PM

Isn't WD40 highly toxic? Since it's oil based, wiping it down before fragging really wouldn't remove all the toxins that could be on the shears.

Please don't use wd40 on your tools. it will seep into the joints where you cannot wipe off the excess and ultimately contaminate your tank when you use it again.
just rinse your tools in freshwater and put over a heater vent or on top of your canopy to dry off quickly as possilble.
cwlee