PDA

View Full Version : glass, Plastic or plywood

incoma
08-26-2005, 04:06 AM
I finally got a basement I was dreaming of doing a bunch of frags and stuff. I want to build some tanks maybe 2ft high 6 or 8 ft long 3 or 4ft wide.
I need to use up some space before the wife getts any ideas and beats be to I was thinking of 6 tanks a bottom for a sump and some diy rock curing the top to get a bunck fo coral frags going.
Right now I have more time than money so I was hoping to build them.
I would like to use plywood because it is simpliest for me to work with has any one had luck sealing these reading forums they talk about so many options pool paint, two part epoxy, fiberglass plastic. I have not heard anyone source these regularly.
Plexiglass I think would make the nicest setup I think but the price would be a new car anyone got cheap ideas here.
Glass this one I have not got much info would it be feasible even?

snaggle
08-26-2005, 04:34 AM
what about plywood with a pond liner insted of paint.

Brad

reeferaddict
08-26-2005, 05:54 AM
Probably the easiest way would be to construct out of plywood, then line it with thinner acrylic, which you may be able to find real cheap... doesn't matter if it's scratched... then silicone as you would for inside corners. (Silicone wouldn't be used for any strength, just to make it water tight) You can even use lighter plywood if you put ribs or braces down the sides and especially the corners. This way you can drill and plumb until your heart's content, and still be able to carry huge water volumes. I would go shallower... especially at that width... lay out something as a model and try to reach in the centre to the bottom... without a snorkel.. :mrgreen:

I've been thinking about such systems for down the road someday... the other day I bought a 200G Plastic food grade water reservoir with 2" gate valve on the bottom... don't know what exactly I'm gonna use it for... but one day it will be in the "system" for sure... DO let me know what you end up going with, as I'm always looking for ideas... :idea:

mark
08-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Second the plywood lined with thin (1/8") acrylic. Seems a common method even with DIY tanks viewable from the front (obviously front panel would be thicker).

Was going to try this for a sump/ref.

Scavenger
08-27-2005, 02:16 AM
Here's a link to a plywood tank I built years ago. If this is what you had in mind, let me know and I'll tell you how to build it. It cost me about $50 to do.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/grumpygr/main%20site/Kenstank.html

Johnny Reefer
08-27-2005, 02:56 AM
Here's a link to a plywood tank I built years ago. If this is what you had in mind, let me know and I'll tell you how to build it. It cost me about $50 to do.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/grumpygr/main%20site/Kenstank.html
Now that is cool. :cool:
And only $50, you say!
Can't beat that!

Cheers,