PDA

View Full Version : Rio hyper flow pumps reviewed

outtafocus
08-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Has any one had any experience with the Rio line of hyper flow return pumps?
I tried a Mag7 as a return pump but it proved to be too weak. So my next purchase would have been a Mag9.5, but I was told about these newer Rios.
The one I have my eye on is the Rio 17hf or maybe a 20hf. They have very good flow, 840gph and 990gph @ 4ft respectively. Claim to be very low heat and run almost silent.

What are your opinions? Any other suggestions for similar flow rated pumps from other manufactures? (available in Calgary)

Thanks, Leighton.

outtafocus
08-28-2005, 12:01 AM
I broke down and picked up the Rio 20HF.
It was a little bit more expensive than I would have liked but none the less it was in my price range.
This pump is rated at 1290GPH at 1ft, and 990GPH at 4ft. Considering that this model is only $10 more than its little brother the 17HF which is rated at 1090 at 1ft and 840 at 4ft.

It seems to be very well made, includes an anti-vibration base which features both suction cups and rubber stand offs, making for a very quiet pump.
The unit also includes several adapters for mating the pump to you particular style of plumbing, ex, 3/4" id and 1" id flex tubing, a 1" threaded adapter and a few other bits.
It also has a removable prefilter attachment, for now the prefilter is staying on. This pump is very compact and is scarcely bigger than the mag7 which I had started with. The flow is also significantly better than the mag7, I was expecting a more aggresive flow but I believe my plumbing errors are limiting the performance.
I will bring you an update in the days to come, when I actually add my live rock and oh yeah salt water.

I am very happy with my choice. Please do not fall for all of the Rio bashing which is prevalent on many of the other online reef communities.
Rio appears to have made a great effort in improving the quality of their product line.
I have a Rio 90 powerhead, a Seio 620 and now this Rio 20HF. All of these are of very high quality and I would not hesitate to buy Rio again.

danny zubot
08-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Ahhhhhh, I missed you by a couple days, my bad.
:eek:
I was going to recommend NOT buying the Rio. Yes they are incredibly efficient and quiet and low heat compared to Mag pumps. They also corrode very fast IMO. I had a Rio 20hf and it only lasted me for a year before the bearing corroded away to nothing.

I'd recommend taking it back in trade for a Mag 9.5, which is what I replaced mine with. Or a Mag 12 if you really need that much flow. Other wise, make sure you take it apart for regular cleanings.

outtafocus
08-31-2005, 10:48 PM
Which part actually corroded away? The impeller bearings which spin on the shaft?
I still have the option of taking it back, was told I could if I wasnt happy.
I may have to go back in and see.

I tried to find some info on reef central, but no one had anything. I figured that these pumps were super new to the market.

danny zubot
09-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Actually it was the whole shaft that fused together, making it so the impellar couldn't spin.

outtafocus
09-02-2005, 01:08 AM
Its already installed and works to my satisfaction, I think I am just going to continue to use it. A year is a long time away, and judging by the way I alreay want to change my tank, I am pretty sure I will end up with a different setup before 6months any way. :lol:
Thanks for the tip though.

Let the record show that the pump and tank were fired up on the Sept long weekend. I will see how long she lasts.

danny zubot
09-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Ok, good luck. :biggrin:

Willow
09-02-2005, 03:57 PM
rio.. bleh! :evil:

outtafocus
09-03-2005, 04:49 AM
I have decided I will take the Rio 20HF back. Mostly because of reasons discussed here- http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19054

I feel I had too much flow, but I also had to believe I may end up having the pump wear prematurely.
Thanks for the help.