PDA

View Full Version : shiny Aluminum

StirCrazy
01-17-2002, 09:02 PM
hey I called around today and a company out in keeting crosroad areacan get a mirror finnish aluminum that is 0.025" thick. comes with a coating to protect it while you bend it. they are charging 3.00 per square foot. I am thinking of ordering a 4X4 chunk but as it comes in a 4X10 sheet there will be some left over.. it takes a week to get in soi anyone is interested let me know. oh they call it "everbright"

Steve

Silverfish
01-17-2002, 09:08 PM
Hey Steve, I am interested, I have a sheet metal brake at work too if you want your reflector bent up into an M shape or whatever. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Troy F
01-17-2002, 09:24 PM
You guys could make some money. J&L sells PFO reflectors for $40. That leaves you guys quite a wide margin when you think of a $6 cost.

Do I get a share for the idea?

StirCrazy
01-17-2002, 09:34 PM
That was my next question Bruce but I was going to call ya hehe. I am not sure how I want to bend it yet though I think I might just make a tray type thing with 45 degree sides leading in to a vertical side
.__________
/...............\
|...............|

(dots are only place holders ignore them)

something like that. I have 5 bulbs to go in it and that will give me about 5.5" on center. unless you could thing of a betterway for a 5 tube reflector?

Steve

[ 17 January 2002: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

canadawest
01-17-2002, 09:42 PM
Hey Steve, I'm interested in some too!

I'd like a 60"x24" sheet. If you could get it before the upcoming Reef Club meeting, I'd give you a little extra to pick it up for me and bring it over. images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Let me know.

One_Divided
01-18-2002, 12:13 AM
I don't think steve is coming andrew, but perhaps I could drop it off to you.

I'd like a 2 foot piece if that's possible steve.. thanks!

ruck'n'reefer
01-18-2002, 12:43 AM
I could use a reflector for my 250 MH!! How much for you to make me one? (If it's not too much trouble).

StirCrazy
01-18-2002, 12:46 AM
hmm ok, Bruce how big of piece you want?
and Adam 2 feet X ?

if I get a 3X4 and andrew gets a 5X2 , Brad gets a 2X3, Rob wants a 2X4, Bruce 1X2, leaves 1 more 1X2 on this sheet.

I don't have to buy a whole sheet (and I can alwasy oder more than one sheet and only buy part of one) I just thought if others wanted some I could order it al at the same time. let me know and I can call them tomorrow morning and order it.. takes about 1 week he said to get in.

Steve

Aquattro
01-18-2002, 12:50 AM
Steve, you wouldn't forget me, would ya? I need some too. 12" x 30" if you can.

StirCrazy
01-18-2002, 01:01 AM
hey Brad I have a bunch of white acrylic you can have also.. I only need enuf out of it for my skimmer (probably enuf to make 6 boxes depending on the size)
I will grab it tomorrow

and I didn't forget ya see images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Steve

ruck'n'reefer
01-18-2002, 01:21 AM
I'll take the 2x4 piece if it's left (if it can be brought over with Andrew's)

Silverfish
01-18-2002, 01:36 AM
Steve.. a piece 12" x 24" would be great for me. I have sweet Wiss snips to cut it up like butter.. and I can brake it up into any shape you want. I also can roll the sheet metal if you want that smooth look. Anyone want to place an order on bending the shiny stuff up, let me know, I'm really affordable images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

StirCrazy
01-18-2002, 01:43 AM
oh sure now your just confusing me LOL
now I don't know how I want it.
by rolling do you mean it would all be curves instead of angles? I am going to have to figure this out now...

Steve

Silverfish
01-18-2002, 02:04 AM
You could go for a combination of the two and get real fancy images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

StirCrazy
01-18-2002, 02:17 AM
hey bruce how hard would it be to make something like this and stay only 24" wide
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/reflector.jpg

Steve

ruck'n'reefer
01-18-2002, 02:18 AM
Bruce: If there is any al. left, I would like a bend or 2. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

canadawest
01-18-2002, 02:21 AM
Well considering I'm just going to be lining the inside of my canopy with the stuff, no real bending required. Perhaps just a 4" piece along the 60" length bent at a 90^ for the back edge? The remaining 20" is just going to lie flat along the top of my canopy.

(Sure wish I knew if I was getting my MH retro or not, then I'd ask for some more custom bending to accomodate the MH lamps) images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Silverfish
01-18-2002, 02:23 AM
Geez Steve, I sense a real market here for these things images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

When you get the metal you will just have to come over and we can practice on some scraps of tin I have lying around the shop. We can get rather creative I think.

No problem Rob, just let me know what you need.

StirCrazy
01-18-2002, 02:26 AM
ok now the only problem I seeis it may not be here in time for the meating if it is on the 26th. the guy said about 1 week so for theout of towners if it isn't here in time how are we doing this? is there anyone who travels back and forth between the mainland and the island frequently?

Steve

Axial Corillite
01-18-2002, 03:12 AM
Steve you should knock of the spider light reflector. I'v heard it can reflect up to 30% more light with that configuration.I'f you make some let me know you could sell them at the store. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

One_Divided
01-18-2002, 03:40 AM
I just want enough for a spyder style reflector.. I figured a 2x1 would do it.. What do you guys think? It has to fit in the hood for a standard 50 gal.

StirCrazy
01-18-2002, 06:00 PM
ok I called to order today and found out he can no longer get this "everbright" but he called me back and said he can get "spectral aluminum" which is pcv coated. the only problem is this stuff is 6.50/sq ft with 4 or less sheets bought and if we can get 5 sheets it would drop to 4.87/sq ft. I checked into this "everbright" and it has no coating whare the spectral aluminum is suposed to have a pcv coating to prevent corosion.

anyways let me know what you all think as this doubles the price.

Steve

Silverfish
01-18-2002, 09:01 PM
Steve.. PCV or PVC coating??

I wonder if it is a plastic type coating, if it would get too hot for it with MH temperatures?

I will check with some of my sheet metal shop buddies and see if there are any alternatives out there.. maybe light gauge polished stainless. Won't be able to find out till monday tho..

StirCrazy
01-18-2002, 09:31 PM
well hehe PVC. it should be ok as that is what is used for the spider lights but ya check on it for me please.

Steve

canadawest
01-19-2002, 04:46 AM
Steve if you can get it in time for the meeting, great. If not, I'll still take a piece, but then I'd have to ask that you hang onto it for me until either the next meeting, or perhaps when someone else from the Island is heading over?

I'm good for it, it'll just be a matter of when we can make arrangements to get it here somehow? I also don't mind mailing you a cheque for the materials, that way you know you're not stuck with the piece.

[ 18 January 2002: Message edited by: canadawest ]</p>