PDA

View Full Version : Flow in my tank for a few SPS

OCDP
08-24-2005, 02:55 AM
I plan on adding a few SPS frags when my halide is setup..
I am just curious if what i have for flow will be ok for the corals
All's I am using for flow at the moment is a Fluval 404 in my 20g tank. The flow nozzle is positioned in the middle of the tank on the back glass, blowing forward.
Just curious if this is ok..

Aquattro
08-24-2005, 05:32 AM
sps could use a bit more to really give them a proper growth form. Without flow, they could grow very spindley.

OCDP
08-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Hmm, any suggestions on a very small powerhead I could add? The problem is adding one to the tank, and it's way too much flow.. my LPS , etc get too much flow ... so I need to find a powerhead that will have very low output... that way i can put it 1 or 2 depending on the output of the side of the tank...

suggestions?

DanG
08-24-2005, 03:04 PM
I've got one of these.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/pumps.php?product_ID=wp-rseo0628

Great PH. It flows a lot of water, but because the nozzle is much larger than most other powerheads, the flow is more spread out and less like a pressure washer.

OCDP
08-24-2005, 03:18 PM
You know what.. I used to have one of those, and for some very stupid reason I traded it for frags and another powerhead of lesser quality. I traded it because it kept me up at night ! ... I now sleep with ear plugs in so it wont matter. They are the best of the best right now that's for sure.... I am just worried its going to be too much flow for everything else in my tank, but I know SPS love the higher flow and lots of water movement.

I'll go see if anyone has a used Seio 620 for sale, if not I'll have to fork out and pay for one brand new.

Bob I
08-24-2005, 10:26 PM
IMHO what you have should be fine as long as the Fluval is clean. I have a Fluval 304, and a Seio 620 on my 33G semicube. The flow is adequate for my Staghorn.

BTW the Seio was probably not mounted properly if it made noise. I use the hang on tank bracket with two suction cups. I have never heard a sound out of it. Sometimes you have to use the supplied anti vibration thingy. :eek:

Bob I
08-24-2005, 10:33 PM
sps could use a bit more to really give them a proper growth form. Without flow, they could grow very spindley.

Remember it is just a 20H Brad (24"X16"X12"). A properly clean 404 has a fair amount of punch, and he could always add the MJ600 he got from me. :razz:

OCDP
08-25-2005, 04:24 AM
I have added that MJ600 and it's waaaayy too strong. So I can try it with the current setup and if I see a decline in health then I will have to go buy a seio.. problem solved? :smile: