PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse ID?

AndyL
08-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Figured between bev and SF... I should be able to get an ID here :)

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1293QTSeahorse.jpg

Anyone able to identify the species? I'm thinking barbouri... But aren't barbouri supposed to have tail rings as well as the facial markings?

(Yes I know... Very small tank - I couldn't just leave them in the bag - some dummy forgot to plug in the heater when recommisioning their tank this weekend... Taking a bit longer than desired to get up to temp)

Andy

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-24-2005, 02:26 AM
Could be a yellow lined seahorse (H. erectus). Is it captive bred or wild caught? I think H. erectus are among the easiest to breed seahorses. Doesn't look like a H.kuda, because of the lines on its snout.

Bev, whatcha think?

Anthony

AndyL
08-24-2005, 02:41 AM
You know... I never even asked - I saw them take frozen mysis - and that was good enough for me (Hippocampus aren't regular arrivals as you may have noticed - although this week everyone has them)

errectus - Looking at the pictures - all seem to have a much "bulkier" snout, and more girth (belly to back)

Of course I'm the amature here... :)

Andy

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-24-2005, 02:44 AM
Almost all young seahorses are "skinny" so it's hard to say looking at the pic how large/mature they are. Yes, H.erectus are usually thicker in the body when older.

Anthony

Beverly
08-24-2005, 02:50 AM
Gads, I don't know the different species of seahorses. There's a gallery at SH.org to help figure it out...

http://gallery.seahorse.org/seahorses

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-24-2005, 03:03 AM
From the gallery, it looks similar to H. barbouri but I didn't know we get those into Canada. I've only seen kudas (common), erectus (Atlantic or lined), hystrix (thorny), and reidis (Brazilian) in the LFS. However, it very well could be Barbour's seahorses you have there, if they are available.

BTW, seahorse ID is extremely hard since they are so variable in their colour, patterns & "thorniness" because these factors mostly depend on the environment they were raised in. I would however suggest that you keep lots of yellow or brightly coloured holding posts for them if you want them to stay bright yellow or else they often revert back to black or brown.

Anthony

AndyL
08-24-2005, 03:26 AM
Yellow really only shows on camera (probably the crummy bulb used for the picture) More of a white/beige color.

We actually just saw H. zosterae at golds a couple weeks ago :) I hear a couple retailers in ontario also brought them in.

Andy

Samw
08-24-2005, 04:04 AM
Its Barbouri. Its my favourite. Didn't Nate say they got them in at Big Al's? I've seen them before in Vancouver.

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18513&highlight=barbouri

AndyL
08-24-2005, 04:22 AM
Nate had some Histrix and erectus I believe it was...

Noticed there were a few at wai's if anyone's looking.

Andy

JSTR
08-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Hey Andy,

I saw those at Golds, was thinking they were either Barbouri or Hystrix. Not completely sure.

By the way the first male has given birth - looks like around 10 new tiny ponies.

Paul