PDA

View Full Version : purple tang and powder blue tang?

possitive k
08-24-2005, 12:34 AM
just tring to get some input before i buy. :confused:
can they be housed together, and are they a difficult fish to take care of?

thankx kristian :cool:

mark
08-24-2005, 02:22 AM
Can't comment about the two together nor the blue first hand, but my purple is pretty much simple. Just add water, nori and mysis.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-24-2005, 02:28 AM
PB are beautiful but ick-magnets. Any stress will usually cause it to break out. Know too many people who have tried & failed with Powder Blues. Purples can also be highly aggressive & will try to kill most other tangs you put in with it, unless you're very lucky or its a huge tank.

Anthony

motox
08-24-2005, 03:01 AM
I have no problems with a purple,scopas and a regal. they were in a 50 but now they are in a 90. they tend to hang out together not one on one side and the other on the other side

Psyire
08-24-2005, 05:25 AM
Powder Blue's also require a large swimming area 6' or more in length. Any less and your asking for stress and with that comes disease. I don't know what size of tank you have but it's something to keep in mind.

smokinreefer
08-24-2005, 06:46 AM
i have a red sea purple and a powder blue in my 180.

they get along fine.

only had ick upon the first week or so of introduction for the purple...

and maybe a slight case of ick for the first couple of days for the powder blue.

my experience doesnt seem to be the norm though. most people seem to have more problems, especially with the powder blues.

hope that helps.

heres a pic of the tangs, probably within the first hour of introducing the powder blue. note, the white marks aren't actually on the fish, it's salt residue on the glass! :lol:

http://members.shaw.ca/smokinreefer/newpbt01nov03.jpg

EmilyB
08-24-2005, 07:10 AM
I thought your tank was gone shao?

Was this before? :confused:

Chin_Lee
08-24-2005, 07:29 AM
they will co-exist although I will not recommend a powder blue. beautiful fish but will probably die shortly after. they are one of my favourites and i've lost my fair share of them.,..... unfortunately.

reeferaddict
08-24-2005, 08:58 AM
I currently have one of each in my 135... Interesting behaviour as I added the PB last, and the Purple Tang went nuts and actually made a nasty gash on the PB. I thought it was probably done for, but it made a slow and steady recovery, and now they co-exist without the slightest hint of aggression towards each other. They DO need the swimming length, as they never seem to stop. Food I thought was going to be a challenge, I never noted any interest in anything offered, but he absolutely decimated my ugly algae during his first week in the tank, and in fact I think the competition with the PT has made them BOTH more efficient algae cleaners. I feed nori virtually every day, and both of them will come and eat it right out of my hand, again with no aggression... they actually take turns. While the PT shows no agression at all to other species, the PB will actually chase my chromis or 6 line wrasse from time to time, but nothing too serious yet anyways.

He always seems to have ich, but at the same time this isn't seeming to affect him the way I have seen it with other fish.. it doesn't seem to affect his respiration, and his appetite is now ravenous, he'll eat anything from mysis to brine to formula one to flake to spirulina, making it easy now to get some garlic into him and hopefully curb the ich. For the time being he is keeping my 3 cleaner shrimp very busy. They're comical to watch as they have to ambush him with him being such an active fish, one will wave back and forth at the reeftop and as he swims by the other two wait behind the reef ready to pounce as soon as he goes by. Interestingly, he actually swims right into my fire shrimp's small cave and will patiently allow him all the time in the world to pick at him. In contrast, I have yet to see a single spot of ich on my PT or any of my other fish.

As you can tell from my experience, it can be done, but I also caution anyone that wants to try to be prepared for failure, as any combination of fish may or may not work depending on the tank size and other inhabitants. For those that are willing to provide the space and diet, I wish all the luck in the world as thus far it has been a very colourful satisfying addition to my tank.

smokinreefer
08-24-2005, 03:29 PM
I thought your tank was gone shao?

Was this before? :confused:

nope my tank is still there... i just lost 95% of my livestock. All sps are gone.

all the fish survived!! my leopard wrasse made an appearance about 2 weeks after the disaster, as did my second cleaner shrimp!

mushrooms/zoos were ok, and my large fiji leather made it, large gargonia made it, as well as my large pagoda... thats pretty much it!

oh! most of the clams made it too. only lost a couple of them... though one of my favorite croceas died.

possitive k
08-24-2005, 11:07 PM
thanks everyone for you info. :biggrin: i'm still a little uneasy about the whole thing but i love the two fish, and when i sell my blue face i think i might go for it. :cool:
one more question...... purple tang first then powder blue or the other way around :question:

thanx again....kristian

mark
08-25-2005, 03:42 AM
Normally most aggressive last as gives time for other be settle in first.

reeferaddict
08-25-2005, 07:08 AM
FYI - I had my PB for quite a while before I did my tank upgrade, then he lived in the big tank for a few weeks before I introduced the PB. I cannot stress enough how much space and hiding places this will require as if I didn't have what I did, I think the PT's pursuit may have been too much. As they have become established the PB has actually ended up being the dominant fish though showing no aggression towards the PT... Good luck!

Johnny Reefer
08-25-2005, 02:01 PM
FYI - I had my PB for quite a while before I did my tank upgrade, then he lived in the big tank for a few weeks before I introduced the PB. I cannot stress enough how much space and hiding places this will require as if I didn't have what I did, I think the PT's pursuit may have been too much. .....

Pardon me, please. I'm not getting what your saying here.

Cheers,

reeferaddict
08-26-2005, 05:59 AM
Sorry... sometimes easier to think it than explain...

What I'm saying is that if I didn't have a 135 gallon tank for these guys to get used to one another, I think the established fish, (Purple Tang), would have bullied the PB to death... as it was he took a nasty gash out of him... but as they have 6 feet of tank room and plenty of reef, the PB was able to get reprieves from the PT. I don't think a 4 foot tank would have given him this space. :mrgreen:

Johnny Reefer
08-26-2005, 06:13 AM
FYI - I had my PB for quite a while before I did my tank upgrade, ....

So...is that a typo then, and should read PT instead of PB? :confused:
BTW, I have a Powder Blue and a Yellow and they are best of buddies!:biggrin:
Cheers,

reeferaddict
08-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Ah yes.... brain fart. I hope it's clear to everyone now... Ya Mark, mine are buds too... when I feed nori they both swarm and eat right out of my hand... take turns as a matter of fact...

monza
08-27-2005, 01:56 AM
I have had both fish for four or five years. I can't really recall which came first, both added close together. They started small in size, maybe the size of twoonies or a bit bigger in a 110G. They now live in a 350G with a regal tang and other fish. The PB had ick once. Both are great fish.

Dave

smokinreefer
08-27-2005, 02:53 AM
just tring to get some input before i buy. :confused:
can they be housed together, and are they a difficult fish to take care of?

thankx kristian :cool:

hey, how big is your tank?

and if you dont have either of them now, i'd say introduce them both at the same time.

reeferaddict
08-27-2005, 05:23 AM
I agree with Smokinreefer.... if there was one thing I'd do differently.... that'd be it...

Johnny Reefer
08-27-2005, 05:36 AM
I agree also.
I know my situation involves a PB and a YT, (not PT), but FWIW the PB and YT were QT'ed together, and introduced to the main tank together, and not once have I seen a millisecond of aggression from either fish toward the other. Like I said, they are best of buds, and spend most of ther time hangin' out together. :biggrin:

Cheers,

possitive k
08-29-2005, 11:12 PM
so i should buy them to gether, and put them in at the same time :cool:
anyone selling a PB&PT :biggrin:

thanks again everyone for all your help.........
dang i love this site :biggrin:

smokinreefer
08-30-2005, 02:24 AM
heh, now that you mention it... i may be selling mine in the near future...
and no offense, but i've had these fish for quite a while, and actually brought my PB from near death to as healthy a PB as you've ever seen...so...

what size tank do you have?
how long has it been set up, and what other fish do you have in the tank already?