PDA

View Full Version : noisy overflow

digitalsteve
08-22-2005, 07:27 AM
how do i silence a noisy overflow. my standpipe in the external overflow(built into tank) is 1 inch in diameter and freaking noisy , it slurps and gurgles. anyone no how to eliminte this issue?

IslandReefer
08-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Hey Steve,
Try reading through Richard Durso's site for trouble shooting.
http://www.rl180reef.com

If you had a durso standpipe, I would guess that you need a larger air hole. Another possability is addressed in the design phase by the relationship of the standpipe diameter vs. the bulkhead diameter.
Hope this helps

shotzee
08-26-2005, 06:14 AM
I have a ball valve on the piping coming from my overflow. This way I can almost match the rate of water being returned from my pump, and I can limit the distance the water falls in the overflow (it also gets rid of the slurping/gurgling noise because you aren't sucking air down anymore). There are only a couple of concerns. The first would be a change in the flow for some reason = potentially overflow in main tank. I delt with this by putting in a float switch in my main that will cut off popwer to the pump. Another conern is the extra water the overflow will have in it that will flow into the sump if the pump goes off (this was only a concern for me because my sump has a pretty high water level).