PDA

View Full Version : over flow arangement

StirCrazy
01-04-2002, 02:08 AM
I need to decide how I am going to set up my drains on my new tank. the pictures show how I had the holes drilled in the end of the tank (glass is 24" x 24" on the end)
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/bulkhead.jpg
the are being drilled for 1.5" bulkheads so my drains will be made od 1.5" pcv. the part I need to figure out will be the part inside the tank. a couple requirments I would *like* to incorperate is a way to adjust the level in the tank and for it to be QUIET images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

oh incase some one is wondering there will be 2 drains so both hold are for spilling water to my sump.

thanks
Steve

[ 03 January 2002: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

titus
01-04-2002, 02:21 AM
Hello Steve,

Have you thought of the Rainbow Lifeguard Bulkhead Strained version? You know, goto J&L and check out the diagram and you can see how you can adjust the water level with those bulkheads. This is of course, assuming that the water level doesn't have to be changed by a lot... say 2" at the most. This is a fast and simple way of adjusting water height but you probably will get some gurgling noise. If you want complete silence you need something like the Durso standpipe. I think Scott (Shadetree) has a photo somewhere? Then you can plumb the same Rainbow Lifeguard bulkhead into this overflow box where the standpipe are located within. Sorry my grammar ain't too good today. Trying to read some stupid articles here.

StirCrazy
01-04-2002, 02:40 AM
hmm would something like this be able to be adapted to a drilled tank? and if so how can you controle the water level?
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/standpipe-doug.jpg

Steve

[ 03 January 2002: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

Aquattro
01-04-2002, 02:44 AM
Steve, check with Darren....his tank is drilled thru the back. He might have some ideas for you.

[ 03 January 2002: Message edited by: Reef_Raf ]

ldzielak
01-04-2002, 11:10 PM
Steve,

I'm using a similar setup to J&L, but I have 90 angles at the top. This is very quiet compared to a straight up and down, or wide open with no strainer. I never glued the elbows so I can adjust my level 1/2". You could make this for a side mount and always remove it later if you don't like it.
http://oberon.ark.com/~ldzielak/fish/over_flows.jpg

[ 04 January 2002: Message edited by: Lee ]

StirCrazy
01-04-2002, 11:13 PM
Do you have a pic of the top of thoes Lee? is it some sort of durso set up?

Steve

One_Divided
01-06-2002, 07:25 PM
If your tank is drilled on the wall you just need the box inside the tank with a dursa style pvc arrangment that overflows out the hole to your sump. cut slits at the top edges of you box as well.

Darren has a good design on his 33.. two of those should more then do it..

I perfer the bottom drilled overflows the best though.. glass is stronger on the bottom of the tank..

[ 06 January 2002: Message edited by: One_Divided ]

DJ88
01-06-2002, 07:46 PM
Steve,

That pic you posted is exactly what I have on my 33. Make the back wall of the overflow the back of the tank. Have an overflow box in your tank that goes down an inch or two BELOW the bottom of the 90 in your tank.. Easy as that.. you control the water level with teh airline valve on the outside(the blue thing)

http://members.shaw.ca/montipora/pictures/standpipe-douga.jpg

ldzielak
01-07-2002, 01:44 PM
Steve,

Not a Durso, just screens on a 90 elbow, doesn't make the suction noise. Here is the pic from the top.

http://oberon.ark.com/~ldzielak/fish/Over_%20Flows_Top.jpg

StirCrazy
01-07-2002, 06:33 PM
Lee, how big are your pipes and what kinda flow do you have going through them? thats about the easyest set up I have seen yet images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Steve

ldzielak
01-07-2002, 11:38 PM
Steve,
They are 1.5" each. I have a little giant 4MDQXC but it's too much. I had fun playing with this, remove the screens, get more flow, remove the elbows, get lots of flow. Straight pipes with screens are good flow but loud. So I have a recirc line in my sump. with a 1/2" outlet. My returns are both 1" in to the tank, so I would have to guess I have 600-800 GPH going through these 2 lines. I would have liked more, but I'm stuck with this for now.

I could put a T on the top of each pipe and have more flow, but I don't have the extra screens. Plus a fitting doesn't exist for that, JL had to build the one they are using with the T.

Aquattro
01-08-2002, 12:15 AM
Lee, if that Little Giant is too much for you, I'd be interested in it. I have a MAG 5 as part trade if you need it.

ldzielak
01-08-2002, 12:07 PM
The LG is all plumbed in and I'm not pulling it out, sorry. I like having too much flow, plus this gives me a project to upgrade the over flows later. I have some acrylic left from the Reactor and will make some boxes to put on my towers, if I keep them short I should not get too much water falling sound. Just need to get a 1/4" bit for the router to make the slits in the boxes.