PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer question

SerLunchbox
08-21-2005, 02:15 AM
So i have been reading about different skimmers on the market, and i keep seeing stuff about recirculating options on them. What is the purpose of recirculation with regards to a skimmer? Does it help remove more crud and produce more skimmate?

Any help would be awesome
Thanks

dirtyreefer
08-21-2005, 02:23 AM
Basically another needlewheel pump is added and attached to the skimmer chamber. This pump will suck in the water that's already in the skimmer chamber and produce more bubbles as the output is also in the skimmer chamber.

This causes alot more foam production, and is supposed to work awesome.

SerLunchbox
08-21-2005, 06:18 AM
ok ... that has answered that question which now raises another question .....

which skimmer would you go with and why (open to anyone)?
Which say between, EuroReef, ASM etc....

I am also reading that an in-sump skimmer has to sit in water about 6"-8" of water, what if i have say a 100 gallon tank, 50 gallon sump/refugium combo and an ASM g3 .... would that be a good combo or would i be fine with a smaller sump/refugium combo?

dirtyreefer
08-21-2005, 06:19 AM
welcome...

rickjames
08-21-2005, 01:41 PM
I am also reading that an in-sump skimmer has to sit in water about 6"-8" of water, what if i have say a 100 gallon tank, 50 gallon sump/refugium combo and an ASM g3 .... would that be a good combo or would i be fine with a smaller sump/refugium combo?

That sounds like a great combo.

SerLunchbox
08-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Cool:

I heard that the skimmers from ASM leak around some seals, but since that it is in-sump, it really shouldn't matter much.

http://www.barraquatic.com/standard_skimmers.php

has anyone heard of this skimmer before? Any good? better then ASM or EuroReef?

mr_alberta
08-22-2005, 06:15 AM
I've heard that Barr Aquatics makes really nice stuff. The skimmer is a standard Beckett skimmer though...nothing fancy.