PDA

View Full Version : MH ballast

soriano
08-20-2005, 01:04 PM
ballast+capicitor + mogul 80 bucks after tax (NIB)
Woo Hooo!!

I love DIY!

msg me if you want info on where to get them.

StirCrazy
08-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Woo Hooo!!

I love DIY!

what kinda ballast? seeing as there is no igniter I am assuming a normal m58 which means you paid about 30 bucks to much as you can get the ballast for 40.00 with a capacitor and a mogul socket is only 10.00 with bracket.

but did you get a case also? you need to describe your DIY better or post a pic so we can see.

Steve

Invigor
08-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Woo Hooo!!

I love DIY!

what kinda ballast? seeing as there is no igniter I am assuming a normal m58 which means you paid about 30 bucks to much as you can get the ballast for 40.00 with a capacitor and a mogul socket is only 10.00 with bracket.

but did you get a case also? you need to describe your DIY better or post a pic so we can see.

Steve

aren't you quick to rag on him :P (i noticed the lack of ignitor too and went "tsk tsk tsk")

soriano
08-22-2005, 01:26 PM
why you gotta be like that....when i'm trying to be like this?
It's an M57.
Your right, ignitor is not included, wiring diagram did not indicate i needed one. (just shows power, cap, lamp and back).

is one necessary?

regardless... still cheaper than buying built.

adidas
08-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Woo Hooo!!

I love DIY!

Steve

$40? cheapest one i found was $60 before gst.....

adidas
08-22-2005, 05:22 PM
why you gotta be like that....when i'm trying to be like this?
It's an M57.
Your right, ignitor is not included, wiring diagram did not indicate i needed one. (just shows power, cap, lamp and back).

is one necessary?

i'm not using an ignitor.... IIRC ignitor is just to use a switch, somebody correct me if i'm wrong..

soriano
08-22-2005, 06:47 PM
did some inquiring on another board and apparently because the m57 is a probe start, i won't need an ignitor.
(m57 bulbs typically have the ignitor built in)

now if it was a pulse ballast, then yeah i'd need an ignitor.

so :P

Also to help anyone reading this thread:
http://members.fortunecity.com/paulerik/id33.htm

Invigor
08-22-2005, 07:47 PM
pulse > probe

pulse starts are easier on the bulbs and offer greater lifespans on the bulbs because of it. They also help with firing higher kelvin rated bulbs: 14000k.

however, I have a probe start 175w and have no quirks with it, other than it doesn't like 20000k bulbs. (only on a 25gal so whipdee) I have m80 (250w hqi) on my main tank :D