PDA

View Full Version : what goes on after lights out...

fishface
08-19-2005, 06:18 AM
was wondering if anyone can tell me what, and where all the little extenders are coming from outta my live rock when the lights go out. they're sweeping around and seemingly comin' outta no where...are they harming my corals? the sweepers seem to come in contact with some xenias, is this making them close up? these goulies only seem to come out after dark :eek: ...any ideas folks??

darryl

Petcrazy
08-19-2005, 06:36 AM
Do you have a picture?

fishface
08-19-2005, 06:39 AM
don't have one, not sure how it would work out trying to take it in the dark. they seem like they're all over 1/2"-2" long mostly...

Aquattro
08-19-2005, 06:47 AM
harmless worms or sessile snails. Nothing to worry about...

Funky_Fish14
08-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Could be brittle star tentacles or other little tentacle things too. But like Brad said, likely all harmless.

Chris

Manny
08-19-2005, 05:56 PM
i seem to have the same thing in my tank. i have not seen any of them getting up to no good so i'm not to woried about them.

fishface
08-19-2005, 06:15 PM
i just noticed that the ones that seem to reach my xenias are the xenias that are closed up...of course that could just be coincidental.

Bob I
08-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Very likely mini Brittlestars. Most Calgary tanks are full of them thanks to Tony :rolleyes: . When I feed the fish there are arms all over the place. :mrgreen:

fishface
08-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Very likely mini Brittlestars. Most Calgary tanks are full of them thanks to Tony :rolleyes: . When I feed the fish there are arms all over the place. :mrgreen:i've got 1 brittlestar that i intentionally put in there and i'm pretty sure that's not what it is. it's almost like they're sort of short, fuzzy threads.

OCDP
08-19-2005, 08:54 PM
what you are describing sounds a lot like brittlestars. They stick their tentacles out of holes and what not out of the live rock, in hopes to grab some food floating in the water column.

i too see a mass amount of arms waving now when I feed the tank... quite neat.

thats my guess too though... brittlestars