PDA

View Full Version : Red Bubble Algae

SeaShell
08-19-2005, 02:54 AM
Hello!

I am having a problem with a reddish brown bubble algae in my reef tank.

Would any of you know of a solution for this problem? I know my water parameters aren't perfect....... but I'm wondering if there's a critter that might eat it or some other solution?

Thanks!

hockey nut
08-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Best thing to do is get your water problems sorted out. I don't think there are any fish that can help you with that type of algea.

What are your water levels at? nitrate/ ca / phos etc.

Beverly
08-19-2005, 01:15 PM
This quote describes my method of bubble algae removal...

My weapon of choice ought to be a small stainless-steel flathead screwdriver, sharpened to wicked excess, and used to gouge out the offenders at the anchorage, even including a thin veneer of rock.

Any method that bursts the bubble or leaves even the smallest piece of the algae behind on the rock, ime, invites a greater infestation in the coming weeks.

Quote is taken from this article:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php

SeaShell
08-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Thank you both for your advise. There are only three inhabitants in this 20 Gallon, a figure 8 puffer and a shrimp goby (and his pistol shrimp friend). Sadly, I tend to overfeed. I've been working on that bad habit.

I was looking around for an article just like the one you attached, Bev! I can never find them when I need them, but I know you always come through.

It's a small tank with little but rock in it. I'll remove the rock and clean it outside the tank so the spores can be controlled. It won't be a tough job. Then I'll do a large water change and restrict my feeding habits. I'm going to add an emerald crab and get the cleaning crew in line.

Thanks again,

Shelley

snailbuddy
08-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Want some help? I can scoot over one night - let me know :biggrin:

SeaShell
08-20-2005, 02:19 PM
hahahha! Snailbuddy! You could just pick up the phone! Nah, I'm okay. Easy job. I have to do water changes this weekend anyway.

Thanks!

Skimmerking
08-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Well post 1300 YEEEE HAWWWW
ok enough with that .

On my 280 i had it really bad, had to take it completely apart and scrub the rock and clean in newer sea water.

Then put it all in the newer tank the 75 gal and it came back, :evil: Then how i got rid of mine was dried out all my rock , Not a good thing to do.

emerald will work, but it will be a hit or a miss.

good luck

SeaShell
08-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks Mike, and congrats on the 1300!