PDA

View Full Version : Berlin pump stopped working

Gools
08-19-2005, 01:31 AM
My berlin pump stopped working last week. just wondering if I got a new impeller if it would make it go again? Or is my pump shot? Don't want to go spend $30 and have it not work.

christyf5
08-19-2005, 01:34 AM
Have you taken it apart to clean it? Any impeller damage? From my experience if the impeller looks fine and when you put it all back together and it doesn't work, its pretty much shot. Maybe someone else has some input though :biggrin:

Gools
08-19-2005, 01:35 AM
I let it sit in vinegar over night, cleaned it all relly good, and nothing. I did notice that the impeller was hard to turn by hand

christyf5
08-19-2005, 01:37 AM
does the pump make any noise when you have it plugged in?

Gools
08-19-2005, 01:38 AM
No noise. I can feel a small vibrate when I was holding it :lol:

christyf5
08-19-2005, 01:42 AM
well that may mean its not shot then. Your impeller needs some more work. Check along the magnet, sometimes there are fine cracks along it that you might miss. If there are cracks you can try supergluing it back together but there are no guarantees that that will work or last very long. You may need to buy a new impeller. Did you clean out the impeller chamber with vinegar as well? Try using a toothbrush to scrub it out as calcium deposits may be weaked by the vinegar but not necessarily gone.

Gee do I sound like I have too much experience with this?? :razz:

Gools
08-19-2005, 01:49 AM
Yah chamber was soaked and scrubed out. As far as the magnet on the impeller, looks fine, no cracks

nate_m
08-19-2005, 02:08 AM
This sounds familiar. Do you have the Red Sea skimmer with the turbo upgrade? If so, it is likely the impeller. I have the same problem occuring about once every 8 months. I am really not at all impressed with this product. If it is your first time having problems with the impeller Red Sea will replace it free of charge. After that, you are on your own. Hope this helps.

Nathan