PDA

View Full Version : Kent Marine Liquid Reactor

Keana
08-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi all...... I have a question that I am hopping someone may know the answer to? Has anyone used Kent Liquid Reactor? I got some last time I was getting reef stuff. I am not sure that it does much of anything? It claims all kinds of stuff. It claims that it completely replaces calcium reactors! Maybe I am not doing it the proper way? However it does seem hard to screw up adding a cap of liquid to a tank. How do people without the aid of calcium reactor dose calcium on this site? I am using Kent Turbo Calcium.

Thanks for the help!
Keana

rusty
08-18-2005, 11:03 PM
I use liquid reactor and it works awsome! I just add a cap full every threee days :biggrin:

Keana
08-18-2005, 11:10 PM
Hi and thanks for getting back to me on this. I want to be a fan of this stuff cause it sounds so great. It says you should add every night. Why do you add only every three days? What does it do for you? I have the very worst time keeping my calcium up and I dose every day. Every morning I dose for kh and then in the afternoon I dose for calcium. If I miss even one day (or 2) my calcium can fall from 435 to 350 or lower. I am thinking that I would like a calcium reactor so I can keep ahead of this. I was hopping that Liqiud Reactor woudl does this for me.

Please let me know anything you can!

Thanks, Keana

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-18-2005, 11:33 PM
If your tank is big enough or SPS/clam heavy, then you are better off using a calcium reactor.

If its a small reef or has fewer calcium-sucking organisms in it, then Liq. Reactor can work great. My tanks are usually low in SPS & I've had very good results with Liq. Reactor (my Derasa, Squamosa & Hippo clams have all grown extremely well). Sumpinfish & I seem to be the biggest fans of Liq. Reactor in the Lower Mainland I think. :redface:

HTH,

Anthony

adidas
08-19-2005, 12:13 AM
i'm using essential elements (think thats what it is called) also by kent i believe. i also dose kalk. I may increase my dosing as i just added sps to my tank.

christyf5
08-19-2005, 12:23 AM
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14555&highlight=liquid+reactor

Keana
08-19-2005, 07:00 AM
The link was very helpful. There have been so many great things said about it that I will have to give it another good try. It's great to hear that so many people have tank sizes like mine.

Thanks, Keana

danny zubot
08-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Russ said....I use liquid reactor and it works awsome! I just add a cap full every threee days

How big is your tank and what do you have in it? I dose about 60 mL per week on my 80 gallon system and I think that is a lot.

Invigor
08-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Every morning I dose for kh and then in the afternoon I dose for calcium.

that could be the answer to your low calcium right there :)

Keana
08-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Hi, I am not sure what the last posts means when the person says that the problem could relate to me dosing. I dose kh in the morning and then balence the cal with this:

http://www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm

Is there a beter (or proper) way that I am not doing? Please let me know.

Thanks! Keana

Keana
08-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Im not using this product anymore. It does not work for me! I don't know what Im doing wrong........ Its not hard to shake and dose. I have added a little, I have added allot. I always do testing to see what my cal levels are before I dose and than I dose the amount of Kent LR that would be required to get my cal up to 435 and than wait and retest the next day and find only that my levels have dropped to dangerous levels. If I use turbo cal this never happens. In short, Kent LR does not work in my tank. I know that everyone here things it is great, so it must do the trick. But not for me! Thanks for all the help and info. My tank is to precious to me to start using things I don't trust. I know you all feel the same.

Keana

christyf5
08-20-2005, 07:20 PM
I just dosed the stuff based on what it said on the bottle. I cna't remember what it said but something like Xml per 20 gallons or something. That got the job done for me. I measured the calcium for the first week, then just dosed the same all the time. Every once in awhile I'd test calcium, it was usually fine. Eventually I gave up dosing the stuff as it was a total pain and bought a calcium reactor (expensive but so worth it IMO).

BTW, what are dangerous levels?

Christy :)

Keana
08-20-2005, 08:17 PM
I want a calcium reactor. I have a co2 canister already so I need to get the other stuff. They sell some on eBay. Has anyone got some suggestions on getting one there? I done with that Kent LR. I dose just as the instructions say 5ml per 50 gal, nothing happens my calcium levels go further down. Then I dose twice what it says, same as before calcium just goes down. Then I dose three times what it says and still the same as before. I do this over the course of 3 days and test every day. The only think that I trust and know works for me is to use separate kh and calcium additives, dose them daily and that works.

Bye, Keana

christyf5
08-21-2005, 02:14 AM
What brand of salt do you use?? You may consider switching to Kent if you don't already use it. It has a higher calcium level than some other salts and would give you a boost on top of whatever other products you are using. :biggrin:

leslr
08-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Sorry, but I seem to be having a brain freeze. Right now I'm using kent Part A & B,(26 gal Bow). If I'm reading this right The Kent liquid Reactor is able to replace the A & B.? Or do I still have to use them or something else. ?
dave.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-22-2005, 04:58 AM
Does the A&B work for your tank? If so, then maybe consider sticking with what works. You know the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." If you're getting good results with what you're doing, keep it up. I think many of the disasters you read/hear about in reefing & other parts of our lives are caused by changing things that didn't need changing & looking for that next great thing. I'm getting good results from using Liq. Reactor but other people swear by the A&B solutions. However, if you're not satisfied with what you're currently using, then by all means consider trying LR for possibly improved growth & health.

Just my $.02,

Anthony

fishface
11-13-2005, 03:05 AM
Every morning I dose for kh and then in the afternoon I dose for calcium.

that could be the answer to your low calcium right there :)are you supposed to dose Ca in the morning and KH in the evening or does it really matter???

reeferaddict
11-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Supposed to be one or the other at a time... preferably a few hours apart...

By now I must have researched HUNDREDS of reef systems and all I can say is there is no ONE right way except stability and consistency... tweak here and there, but don't radically change things, especially water chemistry. I prefer slower dosing of anything except food rather than the "capful every 4 days" or other interesting manufacturer directions... :rolleyes: