PDA

View Full Version : HOB Refugium

Brandoser
08-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi,

I've been reading a lot about Aquaclear 500 filters turned into refugiums, CPR brand and DIY's. I don't know which way to go? The 500 seems economical and fairly easy but wouldn't it be loud with the water dripping?? and too small for a 50gal? The CPR comes with a poor power head and DIY seems hard. Does anyone have a suggestion on what really worked well for them??

Thanks,
Brando

Bob I
08-18-2005, 08:31 PM
I have owned the CPR, and found that the small RIO 200 that comes with it is fine. :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Refugiums work best with slow flow anyways. Gives the macroalgaes a chance to suck up the excess nutrients.

Anthony

IslandReefer
08-18-2005, 10:40 PM
My AQ500, on my 15 gal is silent, and works great as a refugium/mini sump. I house a heater,carbon,phos ban and LR with Chaeto. Since the addition this tank has rock stable temp and parameters. I agree it would be too small for a 45gal....maybe use 2 or 1 plus a HOB skimmer, with a couple a PH and you are good to flow :mrgreen: .
My CPR (on 90g) works well as any other overflow. I did replace the RIO with a minijet (thanks Christy :smile:). The pump just helps restart after a power outage, the syphon works by gravity mostly. New the CPRs are pricey , better to drill and have a sump if that is an option.
GOOOOOD REEEEFin'