PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic scratch removal

Jack
08-18-2005, 05:00 AM
Anyone have tips or tricks on polishing acrylic tanks?

Veng68
08-18-2005, 06:37 AM
I would call a plexiglass/acrylic store and ask them if they have any animal safe products that will take out scratchs.

If not maybe order in some like this http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/acrylic/Class//T1/F11+0047+0277/EDP/3373/Itemdy00.aspx

I think if they are deep scratchs........ your going to be out of luck.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Jack
08-18-2005, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the reply Vic. I have seen that Coralife polish for glass but I didn't know they made a simmilar product for acrylic so thanks for the info.

I am interested in trying a scratch removal product called Novus 1 and 2 they also make a 3. It was reccomended by a really good friend I just need to source it out. Anybody know where?

I also see that there is a scratch kit made by Rainbow LifeGard but I'm still reading through RC to read up on peoples experiances. Anybody use this kit?

Veng68
08-18-2005, 07:51 AM
You should make Anthony take the scratchs out ;)

[that is if you bought his 100 gallon tank] :biggrin:

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Majestic_Aquariums
08-18-2005, 12:29 PM
The Novus products will work. VERY deep scratches you have to be careful with, even if you get them out, the look will start to distort.

How bad is the tank? I ended up using an electric car puffer/polisher-sped up the process considerably. There are some precautions though, so pm. me if you want to go this way, I can give you a rundown of the do's and dont's-IMO at least.

Jack
08-18-2005, 05:39 PM
The scratches are minor so I thought I could try and get it near brand new looking while the tank is dry. I found out that Industrial Paints and Plastics carries the Novus product. I think I may just need some elbow grease... hopefully not powertools, yet. :lol:

Tom R
08-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Hi Jack

I have used the NOVUS products and they work on very light scratches only. They are also a lot of work. If you have any success i would be interested as you know my 135G is in need of some scratch removal.

Anthony's friend Don has offered to work on my 135G. All of his tanks are acrylic. He says that he has had success using jewelers wax and a high speed buffer.

Tom R

Jack
08-28-2005, 06:21 AM
Well after borrowing Tom R's Novus kit just to try it out - all the scratches are gone. The tank looks pretty much brand new. Only took about oh say 3-4 hours of polishing. :lol:

The kit was easy to use but I would consider a different method for deep scratches.

Anyways, thanks Tom!

Tom R
08-28-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi Jack

I am glad the Novus worked for you. This will surely help on you tight schedule for moving. I will want to come any see the tank once your all set up.

Tom R

Jack
08-29-2005, 05:27 AM
Sure no prob. Should be nice once it's setup.