PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Fish Compatability

Gizmo
08-18-2005, 02:27 AM
I have a Foxface Rabbitfish (Siganus vulpinus) Been doing great, I just aquired a Blue-Spotted Rabbitfish (Siganus corallinus) I've been told by many sources that rabbitfish like to be in communities and I've seen it with my own eyes at West Ed in their big tanks. The Foxface has been nipping at the Blue Spotted, and I dont know how to "help" the situation. Any Ideas?

Psyire
08-18-2005, 04:49 AM
How long have they been together? Just a day or two?

Gizmo
08-18-2005, 02:28 PM
yea

Psyire
08-19-2005, 05:08 AM
Generally speaking rabbitfish compatibilty is low, how big of a tank do you have them in?

Gizmo
08-19-2005, 10:17 PM
A 70g

shadowboy
08-20-2005, 01:05 AM
These fish will probaly never get along, they are different species of rabbit fish and wont school together. They have identical feeding habbits so they will always be in each others face, could also do serious damage to each other with their venomous spines. IMO a 70 is minimum for one foxface, 2 is pushing it

JMO
tristan

Psyire
08-20-2005, 02:26 AM
I agree. In about a year you are going to have 2x 6-7" fish on your hands. Rabbitfish grow very fast and I think they will only start to compete more as the 70g starts to shrink on them. If you are set on keeping them, make sure you keep them well fed, this means Nori or some other seaweed present in the tank on clips. (not 24/7, ofcourse) If they are hungry they will be more irritable. You might even want to try and have 2 clips, one on either end of the tank. This way they might each pick one and stick to it. Good luck.

Gizmo
08-20-2005, 02:46 AM
I do keep them well fed. They have been actually getting along better since the introduction. Both fish are in their "happy" colors and I've watched them for some time with no spikes showing or charging. As for the size I realize these fish get larger, and I'm not worried because I have a good size tank in the very near future. I am going to get another clip for the nori though, to help out the situation.

Thanks