PDA

View Full Version : Diversity Poll

danny zubot
08-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Here is where you tell us about the number of different types of coral you all have. List them if you can!

shotzee
08-18-2005, 01:12 AM
Well I have a number of acro frags that are growing out nicely (but slowly). A couple monti caps, a couple birdsnest. Also have few zoos here and there. The waiting for the stuff to grow is the hardest part = patience but constant monitoring of conditions for such a small tank (20gal)

PS> always looking for more SPS frags :razz:

OCDP
08-18-2005, 01:28 AM
I have a mix I suppose... frogspawn, sun coral, ric's, zoo's, gsp,

StirCrazy
08-18-2005, 05:50 PM
If I knew how to kill off mushrooms I would have all SPS in the one tank, but I do have a second tank that is LPS and soft.

Steve

danny zubot
08-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Try the boiling water method, it seems to kill anything. :biggrin:

StirCrazy
08-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Try the boiling water method, it seems to kill anything. :biggrin:

you know it has been crossing my mind. almost thinking of removing all the rock, building a PVC rack for the corals and nuking the rock and then re curing it. just the time it would take is short right now.

Steve

Manny
08-19-2005, 02:07 AM
SOFTIES...

2 different toad stool leathers
1 green devils hand
1 yellow tree leather
1 brown tree leather
2 different types of mushrooms
1 GSP collony
1 other type star pollyps
8-10 kenya trees

LPS...

2 caqndy canes
1 frogspawn

SPS...

1 purple tip acro
1 cream staghorn
2 puple montipora caps
1 pink monipora digitata
1 unidentified something or other, very small

exee
08-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Mostly softies

lots of zoos
1 toadstool leather
bright orange florida ric
green florida ric
beige with orange and green florida ric
blue mushrooms
stripped green shrooms
star polyps
clove polyps
green/purple ric yuma
big green hairy mushroom
xenia

LPS
Candy cane
Turbineria
small bubble coral
small pipe organ (got this from liverock bin at bigals for $1)

danny zubot
08-19-2005, 02:08 PM
you know it has been crossing my mind. almost thinking of removing all the rock, building a PVC rack for the corals and nuking the rock and then re curing it. just the time it would take is short right now.

Film that!

Beverly
08-19-2005, 02:33 PM
If I knew how to kill off mushrooms I would have all SPS in the one tank, but I do have a second tank that is LPS and soft.

Haven't tried this method on mushrooms, but it works well with aptasia. Use a 1 ml syringe with the needle on it. Turn off your water flow, fill the syringe with vinegar, poke the needle into the mushroom and inject the vinegar. Use two or three injections for each mushroom, depending on size. Keep water flow off for 5-10 minutes after injection so an vinegar that escapes the mushroom is still in the mushroom's vicinity.

I imagine with a bunch of dead and dying mushrooms, you will have to keep an eye on water quality.

I think if you remove all your rock and kill the rock/mushrooms that way, you will lose your bio-filtration and all heck will break loose with ammonia problems. An alternative to doing all the rock at once is doing some at a time.

vanreefer
08-19-2005, 07:01 PM
I have used Kalk in a similiar fashion.... inject wait 5 min or so then remove with tweezers.... worked for me :cool:

StirCrazy
08-20-2005, 01:07 AM
I think if you remove all your rock and kill the rock/mushrooms that way, you will lose your bio-filtration and all heck will break loose with ammonia problems. An alternative to doing all the rock at once is doing some at a time.

not realy, as I stated I would recure it befor I reintroduced it to the tank. as for the benificial bacteria, it will re seed its self during the curing process, maybe I will have to add a cup of tank water to kick it off but thats it. I also only have 4 fish in the tank so bio load is very light for a 90 gal.

I want to stay away from the "some at a time" method as it will not get rid of everything (algae, and other undesiriables) as you will always get cross contamanation when you put the new rock back in. also it would give me the opertunity to "cook" the rock after the boil to renew it and clean it up. the other option is to get 100lbs of interesting base rock and just swap the rock out and cook the stuff I have now. Maybe I will look at making some rock.

Steve