PDA

View Full Version : Kalk reactor

DJ88
12-11-2001, 03:23 AM
I run this thingy on my tank as well as a regular Ca reactor.

Completely DIY. Mixes with a maxi jet 400. doses with a mini jet 606 and a needle valve. Runs 24/7. I add 4 heaping tablespoons of kalk every month or so.
http://members.shaw.ca/montipora/pictures/kalk.jpg

[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

titus
12-11-2001, 04:16 AM
Darren,

Feel like writing an article on the workings of a Kalk reactor?

DJ88
12-11-2001, 02:51 PM
I might be able to.. After finals tho. So it wont be till mid january...

smokinreefer
12-11-2001, 03:45 PM
well i understand the basics of how it works, dumping excess kalk and have a stirrer and such, but how do you control the amount of water feeding through it?

ant idea how i can tailor a kalk reactor to my topoff? i currently use a salt bucket for my kalk topoff via a kent float valve. i do have a ~30 rubbermaid tub ready to be used as the topoff(just havent set it up as i seem to very lazy...tub has been sitting there for months... images/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

is there any way to add a kalk reactor to my top off system?

thanks for any input.

DJ88
12-11-2001, 05:36 PM
Here is a quick description for ya.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Ok..

Water is injected into the top of the reactor through a mini jet 606. the tube inputting the fresh top off water ends about 1/2 way down the reactor. This forces kalk saturated water out the top. The Maxijet at the bottom takes water from the upper column and injects it into the kalk at the bottom of the reactor mixing it into solution.

To control the rate at which the reactor doses you use a 1/4 inch irrigation valve from home depot at the end of the airline or hard tubing into your sump. I use airline and drip it right over the pump for my skimmer.

The mini jet I put in a 5 gallon tank right now. But will be putting it into a 20 gallon bucket for when I go away for a few days. It takes a day or two to get the drip rate set up right for the evaprotaion loss but is soo worth it. Less for you to do. Just add water to the storage container. Unless you have a float valve which makes it even better.

All in all it is a simple way to control adding top off water to your tank to match the evaporation rate and at the same time dose Kalk. Two for the price of one. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Does that help? Ask any questions. I guess I'll answer them now and get it cleared up. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[ 11 December 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

smokinreefer
12-11-2001, 05:47 PM
hmmm...OK, well just using the priciple of the saturated water...can i do this>>

i have a ~30 gallon tub for topoff, that gravity feeds my sump via kent floatvalve.(not set up yet) can i just put the output from my tub half way up the height of the tub, throw in a small powerhead and just add tons of kalk to the topoff resevoir?

would this work the same way?

DJ88
12-11-2001, 06:11 PM
You could do that.. I know that Randy Holmes Farley does it that way with a 44gallon rubbermaid container. He has a basement to do it in tho. I guess you have some similar set up.

I prefer to mix it in an air tight container or as close as possible. The reading I have done seems to let me beleive that in time the contact with CO2 makes a kalk solution useless.

I guess it is something you would have to try. Keep in mind that a good way to see if you are not dosing a "good" kalk solution you can jsut measure the ph of the solution. You want a pH of 12.5 or close to it.

It is very easy to have one of these reactors inline with your tubing from the top off bucket to your sump. You will be able to get rid of the small pump I use for dosing and use the pressure of the water from your tub to force through the stirrer and into your sump.

reefburnaby
12-11-2001, 06:55 PM
Hi,

I believe a common method of reducing CO2 to kalk reaction in a large tube is to place a large piece of styrafoam on the surface. This reduces the surface area which the air (CO2) can react with the kalk mixture.

- Victor.

DJ88
12-11-2001, 07:39 PM
I have heard of a few guys who do that.. Works great I gather.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif