PDA

View Full Version : Question for Marc (Fudge)

Troy F
09-01-2001, 07:51 PM
Marc, I finished welding up the frame for my stand and am waiting for it to be painted.

I was out looking at materials to finish it with and wondered if you had used 100% plywood on your stands and if so how did you finish the edges?

Thanks

titus
09-04-2001, 04:27 AM
Hello Troy,

Just since when have you aquaired the skills of a welder?

Titus

SuperFudge
09-04-2001, 09:11 AM
Hey Troy,

Sorry for the late reply,just got back from camping for the long weekend.

Yes, the stands were oak ply,but all of the fronts (face edge) were done with solid oak,with the exception of the doors.

That way no edges of the ply would be exposed,and a profile (router edge) for the corners could be done.
So usually the whole front is done with solid material.
Its quite easily done by just buying the solid wood and ripping it down about 2 3/4"
strips and pinning (or finishing nails)the vertical sides(either side on the front of your cabinet)first.
This is assuming your sides(100%ply)are already on.
Then using the same material,you would do the top and bottom(horizontally).
so now you should have a complete solid wood perimeter around the face edge of your cabinet.(also covering the exposed egdes of the plwood from your sides).

Then you figure out the dimensions of your (two?)doors and pin the center (2 3/4" solid)
brace in the center and making sure openings are 1" smaller that your doors,in width and height.
This standard 1" extra in dimensions of the doors is mainly for use with the Euro type hinges(110 degree 1/2" overlay euros,is what youll ask for at the hardware store)these hinges are nice IMO because they will be totally concealed.

You will have to also buy a euro hinge drill bit...its usually a 1 1/4" forestner bit,to drill your doors.

You do not need to use these hinges,if you choose not to,i would buy your desired hinges before your doors are cut to finished dimesions.

Your doors can be also done with ply,and just glue and pin atleast a 3/4" solid edge around the edges again for your chosen profile.
Or you can buy 3/4" oak tape and just iron it on the edges(to hide the plywood)but this is definatly a less durable option,and it will prevent you from profiling(routering)an edge on your doors.

Im definatly short on tools right now,but i still have the basics if it will help.
If you need it,i have a 2" pin gun and stapler your welcome to use(but no compressor).
And i could rip your solid on the table saw if you like.

Let me know if i can help,Marc.

[ 04 September 2001: Message edited by: Fudge ]

Troy F
09-04-2001, 09:46 AM
Titus, I am not a overly skilled welder. I can weld but do have a tendancy to make some nasty grapes images/smiles/icon_wink.gif .

Marc, thanks for the information and offer of tools. I've got everything I need at work and will start today.

SuperFudge
09-07-2001, 07:03 PM
Hows things coming with the building Troy?

Pretty well have everything to get her running?

Troy F
09-14-2001, 09:41 PM
Marc, sorry for not getting back to you for so long. I got stuck on my plans again and finally decided what I'm doing. I start on the actual woodworking tomorrow morning. See you Sunday?

StirCrazy
12-08-2001, 02:01 AM
Hey Troy, did you tank any pics of the stand after you welded it up?

Steve