PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor

ldzielak
11-22-2001, 12:28 AM
Darren,

Where did you say to get info on a DYI calcium reactor?

Silverfish
11-23-2001, 12:39 AM
Hi Lee, if you haven't found info on a reactor yet, got to reefcentral.com, and run a search in the diy forum for calcium reactor. You will find some good stuff! I just bought some 1/4" acrylic off cuts and 24" of 4" acrylic tube today to make my reactor.
HTH, Bruce

StirCrazy
11-23-2001, 09:31 AM
Bruce, are you doing a calcium reactor (with co2 and everything) or a kalk reactor? I was thinking of making a kalk reactor myself

Steve

Shadetree
11-23-2001, 08:18 PM
http://atlantisaquatic.com/DIY.html#02Calcium_Reactors

Scott

Silverfish
11-23-2001, 11:36 PM
Hey Steve, calcium reactor definately, I'm tyring to make my system as automated as possible! Less time working on it ,.. more time looking at it images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

DJ88
11-23-2001, 11:55 PM
I'd go Ca reactor Steve.. I have both and I need to refill the Kalk once a month at least. That involves cleaning it out of the mess at the bottom. Especially with the tank your size is. You'll be dosing a lot of kalk for a 120.

It is nice when everything is as automated as possible.. Believe me.. and others will agree.. Gives you more time to play around inside the tank. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I kow you have automated everythign else. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Sorry about not getting the links to DIY reactors to ya quickly Lee.. meant to.. mind left with the Physics and Calc coming in.

lol..

Can't even think straight as it is now.. had to re write this four times to get it right.

[ 23 November 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

reefburnaby
11-24-2001, 01:05 AM
Hello,

I would go with both actually images/smiles/icon_smile.gif One of the minor compliants of using Ca reactor is that it does not precipitate phosphates from the water. This may lead to algae blooms if phosphates are not controlled. Just something to consider.

- Victor.

StirCrazy
11-24-2001, 01:15 AM
hmmm 120 gal.. Whoohoo my 50 just grew images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif , seriously though Darren I am doing a 50 when I do it images/smiles/icon_smile.gif and as for cleaning it once a month.. I do that now with my magnum filtr on mu 37 gal tank images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Steve

ldzielak
11-24-2001, 01:23 AM
Thanks all for the reply. Guess first step is to get an Eheim 1048 pump. Has anyone seen any arround or know the price off hand?

Silverfish
11-24-2001, 10:06 PM
Lee, I am going to use a mag2 for the recirc and a MJ powerhead to pump system water through the reactor.

HTH, Bruce

reefburnaby
11-24-2001, 11:32 PM
Ehiems 1048...$100 at big als. If you really want to get it...wait till boxing day. Usually 20% everything during the boxing day week in big als.

- Victor.

ldzielak
11-27-2001, 08:27 PM
So after all my research, I cant decide to build a "traditional" reactor that recirculates or a 2 stage unit with single pass on the 2nd stage to remove any CO2 that could get by the system.

Also what kind of flow are we talking about for CO2 and water out of the system. I can get flowmeters with needle valve easily, just need to know the approx. range. I know this depends on the tank size and demand, but I just need a ball park for a 120g. I still can't get the calcium up in my tank dosing 50ml/day of each Kent CB part A&B.

reefburnaby
11-27-2001, 09:27 PM
Hi,

I am building one right now...I am going with the dual reactor. Some say that this approach does not affect the tank's pH as much and it uses the CO2 more efficiently.

- Victor.

DJ88
11-27-2001, 09:46 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/montipora/DIY/reactor.jpg

Here is the one I am using Lee.. It is a DIY

I'll try to get more info for ya.. measurements and such

smokinreefer
11-27-2001, 09:54 PM
DOH!!!
all you Ca reactor DIYers....anyone feel like makin me one in the future...i am considering using one on my system in the future, and altho i have read many DIY sites and instructions for it, i am not the greatest DIY guy. and i dont feel like i can make one properly.

dont get me wrong, im not just being lazy, i like slappin stuff together and figuring things out, but i only make things to get the job done, but not look nice i.e. my hood and stand!! images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

this wont be until early next year at the earliest, if anyone is interested.

later all.

StirCrazy
11-28-2001, 02:15 AM
ok question for all you ca reator users images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
the reactor part is simple and relativly cheep to build from what I have seen, but now after you build that whare do you buy the co2 tank, regulator, ect and how much does that part cost?

Steve

Shadetree
11-28-2001, 02:49 AM
A brand new 5 lb CO2 tank is $90 + tax at KMS Tools in Coquitlam, KMS Tools Online (http://www.kmstools.com/main.php) It is a special order as they do not normally carry them with the proper co2 valve. I got the rest of my hardware when Canreef was still operating, J&L sells regulators, solenoids and valves. I am sure KMS or Liquid Air, where I get the CO2 refills on Ontario St, just of Marine Drive in Vancouver would be able to find suitable equipment. Liquid Air was the only place that I could find that would fill my tank and not do a tank exchange. It takes about 10 min and costs me $23.

Scott

reefburnaby
11-28-2001, 12:51 PM
smokinreef,

Don't you have one of those canister filters that you don't use...you can modify that to be a reactor. All you need is the CO2 stuff.

- Victor.

smokinreefer
11-28-2001, 08:19 PM
DOH! DOH! again...
man, i sold the last of my eheim canister filters a couple months ago....oh maybe i have one in the garage....

reefburnaby
11-30-2001, 08:45 PM
Hi,

I just got a tank from Air Liquide (Liquid air..) for $160 -- 15-20lb tank and its already filled. I guess the tank is $140 (the fill is about $20). Its a bit more expensive than the Scott's 5lb, but it lasts 3 times longer and the refills cost the same.

Its not a new tank...but that doesn't matter. When its empty, I just return the cylinder and get a new one for $20.

- Victor.