PDA

View Full Version : WTV: Blue-throat / Pink-Tail / Niger Trigger

JTrigger
08-15-2005, 01:05 AM
Preferably 2-4"

Anyone seen any around near Vancouver?

Acro
08-15-2005, 01:15 AM
I picked up a nice male blue throat from hidden reef the other day. I know they had a few niger's at the beginning of the week. I'm not sure if they still do though, you'd have to give them a shout.

dirtyreefer
08-15-2005, 02:47 AM
Jamie, how big was the BT Trigger you bought? I've been looking for a juvy male for quite some time now, but they're pretty hard to find.

Acro
08-15-2005, 03:10 AM
It's probably close to 4"

JTrigger
08-16-2005, 04:10 AM
Called HR today --> Picasso, Clown, and some other non-reef safe trigger ...

Darn...

dirtyreefer
09-07-2005, 03:11 AM
It must be the season for BT Triggers, I just bought one at King Eds today (of all places). He's about 3"

Acro
09-07-2005, 03:21 AM
Good to hear. Good luck with it. Is it eating? If you ever see a female around please let me know.

dirtyreefer
09-07-2005, 03:24 AM
Thanks Jamie. I just finished acclimating him, but haven't attempted to feed him yet since he went straight into the rockwork.

Yes, yes, I know I didn't quarantine! :lol:

I'll definitely keep an eye out for a girlfriend for ya.

Acro
09-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Keep us posted!! I'd like to hear your experience as it unfolds.

dirtyreefer
09-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Sorry if we are hijacking JTrigger, but I just wanted to give an update on my BTT.

He started eating the second day I got him (Wednesday), but is still shy when someone walks in front of the tank. He sure is a beauty though, he's swimming around more freely, but still likes to hide in his little spot. He is friendly towards all other tankmates (including 3 fireshrimp and many hermits/snails) and does not nip at any LPS (including blastos and open brains) or SPS.

Perfect specimen for a reef IMO. I've always loved triggers and it's harder to find smaller "reef safe" specimens here in the LM. Like I mentioned before, it must be the season.

GobiGurl
09-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Theres a niger trigger at Pet Cetera on Grandview, saw it there today. Go see John, (aka: Dead By Dawn) Buy one fish, get two free today. :biggrin:

Werbo
09-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Curious. What triggers are reef safe??

Acro
09-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Hey Tyler, I believe the most likely "reef safe" triggers are Planktivores which include: The Blue Throat, Pink tail, Niger, Crosshatch and the Sargassum Triggers.

Here are some links that have some great info for anyone intrested in trigger fish: With this first link be sure to click on some of the other links at the top of the page. Great info here:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/triggers/index.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/Fish.htm

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-08/dc/index.php

Aquattro
09-11-2005, 06:58 PM
I had a niger and a pink tail in mine for a long time. Completely reef safe until they decided to shred everything. Softies and gorgonians got torn to bits, and any hermits that are bite size can (and likely will) get eaten. They were in the tank for over a year before they went bad!
Too bad, nigers are my favorite fish!

Acro
09-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Brad, what the heck did you have softies in there for anyways? And Hermits? I thought there weren't reef safe either?:confused: :cool:
Ah but seriously, I guess like many things we can't guarantee they'll be model citizens. I will say I've heard of lots of systems(reefs) with them as residents.

Aquattro
09-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Jamie, I think that was the beginning of my SPS only system. The triggers forced it on me, damn things!! :razz:
Ya, since then, no hermits or softies in my tank, although I think softies are considered reef safe :biggrin:
Lots of people do keep triggers successfully, I just wanted to mention that they can turn into nasty reef eaters!

Acro
09-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Hey Brad, I totally gotcha :cool: Glad you brought it up too!!!

cvrle1
09-12-2005, 01:46 AM
I went to JL yesterday and they still had niger triger that I brought in there. it is about 1-1.5 inches and it's a nice little fellow. He hitched a ride inside a piece of LR that I bought from another reefer so i had to get rid of him (aquarium too small and wasn't even cycled yet)

You should check him out if you still need one.

HTH

Werbo
09-12-2005, 03:12 AM
I didn't know that triggers were possible in a reef. I imagine the bio load must be quite high.
Of the Blue Throat, Pink tail, Niger, Crosshatch & Sargassum Triggers that can be classified as reef safe (but with caution) just as some angels. Of the 4 mentioned triggers in one considered more reef safe than the others.

dirtyreefer
09-12-2005, 04:07 AM
I didn't know that triggers were possible in a reef. I imagine the bio load must be quite high.
Of the Blue Throat, Pink tail, Niger, Crosshatch & Sargassum Triggers that can be classified as reef safe (but with caution) just as some angels. Of the 4 mentioned triggers in one considered more reef safe than the others.

I think the Niger and Pinktail would be the less reef safe than the Blue Throat, Sargassum and Crosshatch.

For Nigers, I think they are a hit or miss, especially the Odonis (sp?) ones. I would say these are the least compatible followed by the Pinktail. BT, Sargassum and Crosshatch are probably the least likely to go for corals. Just my opinion though from readings.

Acro
09-23-2005, 08:38 PM
I just picked up a female blue throat this morning from hidden reef. They have 5 males and 4 females left.

dirtyreefer
09-23-2005, 09:04 PM
Wholly they got a whack of em in eh? I've never seen a LFS get more than a pair in at a time.

Jamie, were there any other interesting fish or have they gotten any new acros in lately?

Acro
09-23-2005, 09:22 PM
You'll have to give them a call. It was a good sized fish order plus I believe an upcome acro shipment is pending.