PDA

View Full Version : D@#$ Crabs!!

leslr
08-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Talk about a frustrating day. Went from dancing on cloud 9 after getting some frags from IslandReefer to "KILL KILL" anything that moves in the tank. Back ground, 26 gal bow front,up for 2 1/2 months. L/R from Adam and everything looked ok (no crabs), Then the other day everything in the tank just seemed "spooky", a few hermits/snails were not around. Hum, maybe just hiding behind the rocks,the cleaners not around, maybe molting,fish staying out in front, strange. Got all the frags from John in and placed and cleaned up for the night. Next morning frags all knocked over, Some Zoo's mising completely? Maybe I didn't glue them enough
Anyway went to check tank early and one of the zoo frag rocks was hanging out of the rock work, what the !!?. Well as I was being a fool and thinking maybe I was just going nuts, the frag rock pops out and a rather Large crab comes strolling out, his body was at least 1 1/2" not counting his legs.The claws were the no no type large sharp and pointy. I got very luckywhen I tried to catch him, he/her tried to run down under the rock so I just pushed the rock down on top of it. It is not floating somewhere in my septic system. It's funny,but now that it is out of the tank, everyone seems to be happier. Cleaners are out, the fish are swimming around all the corals are open etc. It's just a shame it had managed to eat most of the best looking Zoo's I had just got for the tank. Sorry John :(.
Anyway sorry to have been so long winded, just trying to vent, I just can't believe that I could have missed something that BIG living in my tank all this time.
Dave.

christyf5
08-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Yikes :eek: Not the precious zoos!!!! I'm sure John can grow up another batch for ya. Just ask him nicely :wink:

I had a rather large emerald crab that I had bought as a little guy. I had no idea they can get so large. I named him "The Hulk" and his smaller compadre was "Bruce Banner". After he snacked on a couple of my gobies he made the trip down to IslandReefers tank where he was christened "Lou Ferrigno" and has a strict coralline diet :wink:

rickjames
08-15-2005, 02:50 AM
Yikes :eek: Not the precious zoos!!!! I'm sure John can grow up another batch for ya. Just ask him nicely :wink:

I had a rather large emerald crab that I had bought as a little guy. I had no idea they can get so large. I named him "The Hulk" and his smaller compadre was "Bruce Banner". After he snacked on a couple of my gobies he made the trip down to IslandReefers tank where he was christened "Lou Ferrigno" and has a strict coralline diet :wink:

That emerald crab was yours? That thing is HUGE!

christyf5
08-15-2005, 02:52 AM
I know. It was only after I saw the size of him, I made the connection to the missing gobies. Little did I know, they are fairly well reputed to be small fish eaters as they get bigger :rolleyes: