PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ringed Octopus

j83
08-15-2005, 12:40 AM
If anyone wants to see this deadly creature up close and personal, Big Als in Richmond has one.

EmilyB
08-15-2005, 02:01 AM
You're not serious :eek:

Well let me be the second to point out these things can KILL you. DEAD.

christyf5
08-15-2005, 02:19 AM
not too close and personal I hope :eek: :wink:

Beverly
08-15-2005, 02:37 AM
Real questions - who's going to buy such an animal and how do you do tank maintenance?

Saltysteve
08-15-2005, 02:38 AM
Not to be a stick in the mud but, I'm not too sure that is an appropriate animal to keep! After all I have read, what are they thinking :confused:
Hope the suppliers don't think there is a market!

rickjames
08-15-2005, 02:45 AM
Just seen a segment on TV about those guys, one thing I never knew is that they only display the blue rings when they are agitated. Kind of a stupid thing to sell though, considering they can kill you and have a lifespan of less then a year or something like that.

Hopefully no one will buy it, then they might rethink bringing in another one.

christyf5
08-15-2005, 02:47 AM
Maybe they just got it in for a display. They're pretty cool little critters just as long as you don't get them riled up with your hands in the tank.

smokinreefer
08-15-2005, 02:47 AM
kinda off topic...
King Eds has a nice octopus in too! about the size of my open palm...
saw it when i went to go buy dog food...
i'd buy it if i had the proper set up ready.
cephalopods are cool!

blue rings are wicked, but i wouldnt suggest keeping one. just the thought of someone getting bitten by it... horrifying.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-15-2005, 02:56 AM
Story I got is that somebody special ordered the Blue Ring then changed their mind :rolleyes:

Somebody I know has a mimic octopus, which is the only day hunting octopus (or one of very few). However, they are extremely expensive (usually in the $300-400 range) but really cool looking with black & white stripes. Other octopus usually only come out at night & hide most of the time so you'll rarely see your pet. You also need to set up a special octo-escape-proof tank system. Unfortunately, most cephalopods are very short lived so you can only enjoy them for a few short months or a couple years at most.

Like with seahorses, anybody interested in getting an octopus needs to do lots of research & set up a species tank to be able to take care of their purchase necessary. Definitely not suitable for an impulse buy.

Anthony

j83
08-15-2005, 04:34 AM
I'm not promoting the sale of it at all, just thought if no one has seen one up close that they could check it out, it's kinda cool - knowing that something so small (and it is small) could kill you. Talk about an aggresive tank :eek: It does have a label on it that says 'extremely toxic.' I just hope that some unsuspecting person doesn't buy it, and some misinformed employee doesn't just sell it without giving out any warning.

Christy - it is for sale. Don't know if I can post prices but I am sure it fits into the budget of every person in the hobby.

EmilyB
08-15-2005, 04:55 AM
I hope the lid is locked.

Coldwater
08-15-2005, 05:48 AM
Personaly I think it is be one of the coolest things you can buy. If I had a tank for it I would buy it.

Matt

bulletsworld
08-15-2005, 07:58 AM
:eek: I had to read up how deadly they are. EEEEK! :eek:

In about three minutes.......DEAD! :shocked!:

"First you will feel nauseous. Your vision becomes hazy. Within seconds you are blind. You loose your sense of touch. You cannot speak or swallow. Three minutes later you are paralysed and unable to breath." :shocked!: :shocked!: :shocked!: :shocked!:

http://www.didyouknow.cd/animals/octopus.htm

rickjames
08-16-2005, 12:59 AM
It does have a label on it that says 'extremely toxic.'

The understatement of the week! :mrgreen:

adidas
08-16-2005, 01:08 AM
Man, I'd love a blue ring.... octo's are so smart, and cool looking... I will get one eventually!

Beverly
08-16-2005, 02:13 AM
I will never get any species of octopus. They belong in the ocean. Heck, I won't even get a tang cuz my tanks are too small, imo, for one.

rickjames
08-16-2005, 02:14 AM
Sorry.... this hobby is cool and all but not cool enough to risk my life over, even if the chances are 1 in a million of getting bit.

You do know that there is no anti-venom for the blue ring bite?

blood_hound
08-16-2005, 05:24 AM
I will never get any species of octopus. They belong in the ocean.

Yep there are some creature that should be left in the wild,people should not be allowed to collect any type of octopus for hobbiest, but if it for eating i'll make an exeption :mrgreen: :mrgreen: This hobby can be so much fun but not if it can kill you..

danny zubot
08-16-2005, 02:14 PM
BA's in Calgary had a small octopus in a nano tank a while back. Not sure what kind it was though. Cool creatures......not very well understood....bad invenstment IMO.

Samw
08-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Octopus in general are great escape artists.

Not worth the risk of death. Goes without saying, but the chances of getting bit are greatly increased when you keep one of course vs naturally encountering one in the ocean. Octopus can fit through holes the size of a dime. Is everyone going to know that? Is everyone going to do the research before buying one? Is it possible for an octopus to escape your tank and you stumble upon it maybe during the night when the lights are out? Maybe not likely to happen but maybe not so unlikely either. I'd rather not take a chance on something so smart, so elusive, and so lethal.

The following is just a story I read about. Its not a Blue Ring one of course.

www.salon.com/tt/post/2004/06/02/post/+We+had+a+large+a+large+octopus+in+one+of+the+disp lay+tanks+who+disappeared+one+night.+The+catwalks+ we+used+to+feed+the+display+animals+were+simply+a+ set+of+boards+laid+over+the+tops+of+the+tanks.+Whe n+we+went+searching,+we+found+sucker+marks+drying+ on+the+boards+and+followed+them&hl=en]A (http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:YkmYZIECwGoJ:[url) STORY[/url]

We had a large octopus in one of the display tanks who disappeared one night. The catwalks we used to feed the display animals were simply a set of boards laid over the tops of the tanks.

When we went searching, we found sucker marks drying on the boards and followed them. The octopus had gone past the dogfish tank (dogfish love to eat octopus), past the moray eel tank (morays also find octopus tasty), past the sea anemone tank (pretty but inedible) and dropped into the crab display where he reposed on a pile of empty crab shells radiating pleasure and satisfaction. Many people don't realize that an octopus can clearly show its emotion. It is relatively easy to tell when an octopus is happy, sick, scared, curious or even horny by the texture and color of its skin, which it can control almost instantaneously. After a few similar incidents, we moved this guy to a large tank in the common area of the research facility where he became a pet.

For those of you who may still doubt the intelligence of an octopus, let me continue. Our new pet loved being fed by hand. He also liked to grab my arm to get lifted out of the water and taken for a walk. They can survive cheerfully in the open air for longer than you might think.

His favorite game was to watch the door to see who came into his area. Octopods have extraordinarily good vision. If a stranger entered, he would quietly ease himself up and slightly over the edge of the tank (it was open at the top) and wait for his opportunity. Then he would use his siphon to jet a stream of cold seawater 15-20 feet to douse the unwary intruder. Then he'd dropped back into his tank and display the strong colors and hornlike skin protruberances that were his equivalent of giggling.

adidas
08-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Octopus in general are great escape artists.

Not worth the risk of death. Goes without saying, but the chances of getting bit are greatly increased when you keep one of course vs naturally encountering one in the ocean. Octopus can fit through holes the size of a dime. Is everyone going to know that? Is everyone going to do the research before buying one? Is it possible for an octopus to escape your tank and you stumble upon it maybe during the night when the lights are out? Maybe not likely to happen but maybe not so unlikely either. I'd rather not take a chance on something so smart, so elusive, and so lethal.

The following is just a story I read about. Its not a Blue Ring one of course.

www.salon.com/tt/post/2004/06/02/post/+We+had+a+large+a+large+octopus+in+one+of+the+disp lay+tanks+who+disappeared+one+night.+The+catwalks+ we+used+to+feed+the+display+animals+were+simply+a+ set+of+boards+laid+over+the+tops+of+the+tanks.+Whe n+we+went+searching,+we+found+sucker+marks+drying+ on+the+boards+and+followed+them&hl=en]A (http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:YkmYZIECwGoJ:[url) STORY[/url]

We had a large octopus in one of the display tanks who disappeared one night. The catwalks we used to feed the display animals were simply a set of boards laid over the tops of the tanks.

When we went searching, we found sucker marks drying on the boards and followed them. The octopus had gone past the dogfish tank (dogfish love to eat octopus), past the moray eel tank (morays also find octopus tasty), past the sea anemone tank (pretty but inedible) and dropped into the crab display where he reposed on a pile of empty crab shells radiating pleasure and satisfaction. Many people don't realize that an octopus can clearly show its emotion. It is relatively easy to tell when an octopus is happy, sick, scared, curious or even horny by the texture and color of its skin, which it can control almost instantaneously. After a few similar incidents, we moved this guy to a large tank in the common area of the research facility where he became a pet.

For those of you who may still doubt the intelligence of an octopus, let me continue. Our new pet loved being fed by hand. He also liked to grab my arm to get lifted out of the water and taken for a walk. They can survive cheerfully in the open air for longer than you might think.

His favorite game was to watch the door to see who came into his area. Octopods have extraordinarily good vision. If a stranger entered, he would quietly ease himself up and slightly over the edge of the tank (it was open at the top) and wait for his opportunity. Then he would use his siphon to jet a stream of cold seawater 15-20 feet to douse the unwary intruder. Then he'd dropped back into his tank and display the strong colors and hornlike skin protruberances that were his equivalent of giggling.

Wow... that story pretty much sells it, i'm definately getting one... someday..