PDA

View Full Version : sorry it's not brown, it's green algae,,,,,

dacyn46
08-10-2005, 07:02 AM
hello again about the algae problem , my husband say's it's more green algae than brown,,, a lot ,, a lot,, ten minutes after we clean,, we have done evrything we have been told to keep this tank in good conditions, but we have this problem.. any good advice???? thanks again... dacyn46

Invigor
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
is it goopy and clingy? chances are it's cyanobacteria :|

you can try adding a phosphate remover into your filter, if that doesn't help: http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/additives.php?product_ID=bd-cclean works like a charm.

muck
08-10-2005, 02:23 PM
I see you are running a fluval 404 on your tank.
With or without filters? (sponges in particular)
How often do you clean the sponges if you are using them. Sponges can trap a lot of gunk and if not rinsed often and good enough might be contributing to your algae farm.

How is your skimmer performing? Is it pulling out a ton of dark green/black gunk?

Also how big is your cleanup crew?

dacyn46
08-10-2005, 03:52 PM
the rocks are definately the worst part as well as the sand the glass is just a few swipes of the mag float and it is done I dont think that it is cyano as it is I believe red and kind of cloudy covering all like spider webs and this is like a fuzz and it is only on the rocks and sand the filters last week were filthy so rinsed them well and reinstalled and I put a new set of filter bags in (green X phosphate remover) and I think that it is doing real well um about the skimmer it is pulling out tons of browninsh red stuff and I think that it is working great with one exception tons and tons of microbubbles <-- ( good or not ) I was told not good and could cause popeye thanx for the great information

dacyn46
08-10-2005, 04:47 PM
yup I got that chemi clean stuff have used it when the cyano was real bad and still have half left was thinking to mix another shot glass for the tank but was not sure about the protein skimmer and the filters in the fluval dont want to waste the wonder cure lol (mostly concerned with the rocks they look awful and the feather dusters I think have all suffocated and died there are none left and there were close to 50 :cry: :cry: 15 blue legged hermits and 15 astrea snails

SuperFudge
08-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Hello,

Ill wager your tanks fairly new, How big is it ?

I would guess its just experiencing an algea cycle, this will end at about 5-6 week point, and shift from brown to green algea.

Then is the time to focus on snails, herbivourous fish, I would leave the crabs at the store....

If the tank is new....leave the chemicals at the store aswell, all it needs is patience.

There is not much any chemical can give you, that a water change cant.

StirCrazy
08-20-2005, 07:24 AM
hmm maybe this should be moved into the reef section instead of the DIY section

Steve

Aquattro
08-20-2005, 04:28 PM
hmm maybe this should be moved into the reef section instead of the DIY section

Steve

Ah, I thought he was building algae. It's moved. :biggrin: