PDA

View Full Version : why my fishtank has a lot of brown algae even when i clean

dacyn46
08-10-2005, 06:54 AM
hello ,, i have a very serious algae problem,, i clean the gravel and fater maybe ten minutes you see brown algae again,, the glass , the rocks and everything,,, we have now 4 months with the tank,, we have a few crabs and snails, a coarla beauty, a maroon clown, a cleaner shrimp ,a brittle star and three damsels,, we recently lost an anemone,,,, can some body help us and give us a good advice how can we control this problem... thanks a lot.... dacyn46 plssss :lol: [/b]

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-10-2005, 08:15 AM
Check your nutrient levels, your skimmer/filtration & your bulbs. Nuisance algae can usually be traced to high nutrient levels (especially nitrates & phosphates), inadequate skimming/filtration &/or old bulbs that give off the wrong wave length.

HTH,

Anthony

PS. Wrong forum.

christyf5
08-10-2005, 02:55 PM
moved to reef forum

danny zubot
08-10-2005, 04:19 PM
In addition to nutrient levels, flow often plays a role in algae growth of the brown kind. Higher flow = less brown IMO.

shotzee
08-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Definately check your phosphates and nitrates.

Mikey B
08-11-2005, 04:00 AM
These folks are correct of course.

Two water changes using R/O rather than treated tap water eliminated my algae problem. Try some bottled R/O (the big blue 5 gallon bottles) to see if it helps before buying an R/O system.

Let me know if it works.