Some really nice photos this month.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/blank/blpcontestoct02critter.htm

StirCrazy
10-05-2002, 02:14 AM
how do you keep your emerald crab so cleen? mine is always covered in sand LOL

Steve

Samw
10-05-2002, 02:24 AM
Unfortunately, this little guy is no longer with me. I sold him to a fellow board member. My remaining crabs are not nearly as vivid in color.

This guy was a really fast grower. When I first got him, he only had 1 claw. But this was during the time that I was battling bryopsis and he had tons to eat. He just turned greener and greener and molted twice in about 2 months. He got big and got the missing claw back after the first molt. He was my biggest crab and I got worried that he'll start catching my smaller fish during the night (call it paranoia cause I've never seen an Emerald catch a live fish yet). Too bad cause he's the brightest green emerald crab I've seen.

Say, what's entry #7? It doesn't look like a Royal Gramma.

[ 04 October 2002, 22:29: Message edited by: Sam W ]

EmilyB
10-05-2002, 02:28 AM
Awesome photography Sam...I'll just post my crappy pictures until you give me some lessons... :D

AJ_77
10-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Very good Sam, but you're trailing that rather ordinary seahorse photo. How many times are we allowed to vote?? :D

And that Royal Gramma in the one photo is a new morph or something? And how about that "BTA?" Yeesh.

Alan ;)

Samw
10-06-2002, 06:23 PM
Thanks for voting AJ. Only 1 vote is available for each IP address I think.

Don't think this fish is a Royal Gramma at all. It looks like a male anthias.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/graphics/mridleyroyalgramma250.JPG

http://www.peteducation.com/category_summary.cfm?cls=16&cat=1846

canadawest
10-06-2002, 09:03 PM
Don't think this fish is a Royal Gramma at all. It looks like a male anthias.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/graphics/mridleyroyalgramma250.JPG

Doesn't look anything like my Royal Gramma. I'm sure it's just been mis-labeled.

http://www3.telus.net/my_universe/IMAGES1/gramma2.jpg

titus
10-07-2002, 01:12 AM
Hello,

Ah. So they give you a certificate for the prize. Neat idea!

Titus

Samw
10-07-2002, 01:36 AM
Hello,

Ah. So they give you a certificate for the prize. Neat idea!

Titus

Yes, and a T-Shirt too. I can never get enough T-Shirts. :)

Troy F
10-09-2002, 05:58 AM
Definitely not a Gramma loreto, could be Pseudoanthias huchti or P. squamipinnis but I've never seen those colours before. If the photo isn't doctoed, then that is one nice fish.

Troy F
10-09-2002, 04:02 PM
I had a look at the actual site and noticed that the anemone is probably misidentified as well. My guess would be Heteractis crispa. Hope the fellow feeds it a lot.

Delphinus
10-09-2002, 05:33 PM
Actually, if I stare real hard at the anemone, I get the sense it is E. quad. after all. The tentacles have a barely discernable bulb shape (they are shaped almost like miniature bowling pins). It is a very badly bleached specimen though. I would say it's in trouble -- I agree with your prognosis, better hope it's being fed.

But on the topic of possible mislabelings .. is the sailfin tang really Z. veliferum? I thought there was a "sailfin tang" and a "Red Sea sailfin tang". The latter being Z. desjardinii (sp.?), which I thought was the version that has spotted cheeks (the other just being striped, no spots on the cheeks). [Do I have that backwards maybe? :? ] Seems to me the one pictured has spotted cheeks which would make me guess it's the Red Sea sailfin. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Somebody please set me straight!

Samw
10-09-2002, 08:54 PM
This is what happens when contestants get to label their own photo entries. Most of them don't know what they own. :)

Troy F
10-09-2002, 11:30 PM
Well we'll have to agree to disagree Tony because I see bleached H. crispa around here quite often and they're notorious for dumping their zooxanthellae and having the bright purple tips is usually an indicator too, as far as I know.

I agree on the sailfin though :).

Delphinus
10-10-2002, 03:53 AM
I still believe it's E.quad., but I can't say for 100% certain without seeing the pedal disk however, so .... maybe it is and maybe it aint :D . You don't see purple too often in BTA's though, it is a rare morph. I have once seen a blue morph, I don't know if it was a natural colour or if it had help (dyed corals/anemones are a disgusting practise but it seems to still happen unfortunately :( )

Mak
10-15-2002, 01:10 AM
"Sorry, you can only vote once" :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :mrgreen:

Samw
10-27-2002, 08:58 AM
Currently, its a 3-way tie at 20% for the top 3 photos. I need just a few more to put me over the top. :)

:)

r_wellwood
10-27-2002, 05:04 PM
You are in the lead now Sam :wink: , hope it lasts...

Ryland

Tigger
10-27-2002, 11:11 PM
Sam
I put in a vote for ya.

Steve

Samw
10-27-2002, 11:36 PM
You guys are great. Thanks.

BC_Grl
10-30-2002, 05:24 AM
Hey Sam, I made sure I put in a vote for the blenny- oops, I mean I voted for your crab picture! (whew) :)
I really did like the coloration of your crab.

Good luck and hope you win. Let us know if you continue to come on top and win. We're all pulling for you.

Samw
10-30-2002, 06:44 AM
Thanks Jeanna. Glad you liked the pohto. Your votes are going to make all the difference.