PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Chaetomorpha or Gracilaria Algae

andrewsk
08-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy some Chaetomorpha or Gracilaria Algae for a refugium I am setting up. Can anyone tell me where I might find some.

I was going to use some Caulerpa I got from Big Al`s but have since read that it can be a bit dangerous.

I would be most grateful.

blood_hound
08-09-2005, 04:55 PM
:confused: what so dangerous about Caulerpa ? I have been using it for my fuge for couple of months now I dont see any problem...

andrewsk
08-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Here is just one of the quotes from Wetwebmedia.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You indicated that you disliked the use of Caulerpa in a planted sump. Can you provide specific reasons as to why you dislike the use of Caulerpa in a lighted sump for display systems (with corals/fish) -
<this is literally a several hour/many page dissertation but the short story of it all has been written about many times here in the FAQs if you care to use the google feature in a keyword search to run down the history. My apologies for not retelling the entire story but we literally get upwards of sixty or more emails daily here and brevity alas is necessary at times. The short story is that there are far more disadvantages than advantages. Yes it grows fast and yes it is a large nutrient exporter for it. However, for those same reasons is a very strong competitor with corals for the same nutrients. Furthermore, they exude noxious compounds that slow the potential growth of many corals (read: slows, not stops). They are tedious to maintain without breaching critical mass for fear of a vegetative event which is inevitable and potentially catastrophic in many systems. The list goes on. There are much better macros out there. Caulerpa is popular because it was commercially marketed, not because it is the best choice. See how many corals you can find in Caulerpa zones on wild shores (zero or nearly so... there must be a reason!)>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the link if you are interested:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/caulerpafaq2.htm

blood_hound
08-09-2005, 07:48 PM
But that not the only type of Caulerpa. The Caulerpa on that link is Caulerpa Taxifolia. Do you get the same problem with Caulerpa-racemosa?

christyf5
08-09-2005, 08:20 PM
I think most of the problem with the Caulerpa family is the worry that it might go asexual and release its gametes into the water, decreasing your water quality and perhaps affecting some livestock, not to mention the excess nutrients that will fuel other types of algae.

As well Anthony Calfo has talked about Caulerpa pruning methods and that the "sap" released into the water upon pruning can cause an adverse effect and possibly trigger an asexual spawn. Its somewhere on www.wetwebmedia.com

Christy :)

andrewsk
08-09-2005, 08:57 PM
I just bought 2 huge bunches of Chaetomorpha online (It is supposed to be the best Algae for the Refugium bar none.)

If anyone wants a clipping when I get it, I would be happy to share:)

muck
08-09-2005, 08:59 PM
where did you get it online?

Ruth
08-09-2005, 09:26 PM
I have also bought it online from e-bay - just do a search.
Muck I have a whole bunch in my fuge that I have to prune this week and would be glad to bring what I prune to Edmonton this weekend if you want to hook up somewhere.

Ruth

muck
08-09-2005, 09:42 PM
I have also bought it online from e-bay - just do a search.
Muck I have a whole bunch in my fuge that I have to prune this week and would be glad to bring what I prune to Edmonton this weekend if you want to hook up somewhere.

Ruth

You are getting a pm Ruth. :mrgreen:

blood_hound
08-09-2005, 11:05 PM
I just bought 2 huge bunches of Chaetomorpha online (It is supposed to be the best Algae for the Refugium bar none.)

If anyone wants a clipping when I get it, I would be happy to share:)

Let me try some of those :biggrin: