PDA

View Full Version : PM Bullet 2

reeferaddict
08-09-2005, 10:15 AM
OK... so I finally got over to J&L... I was very impressed, (note to Islanders - We will be a long time coming before we have anything here even close to J&L, the sheer volume and shipping issues will prohibit it - so don't think our local guys are always ripping us off) - and I was bad ... I picked up a Bullet 2, mainly because I got to see one work beside both the Euroreefs and the Aqua C's... Skimming became an issue as I upgraded the tank... then the lights... and boom... ALGAE... All kinds of different colourful slimy kinds... Good thing I have a high interest right now as I dutifully cleaned all the time... hoping my biological balance would return, much to my chagrin when it didn't... So on looking for a skimmer I went. I've heard people having great success with the Euroreefs, and even read good things about the ASM's and Aqua C, but when I got to see these things in action I was sold!

First off, I am stepping into a different class of skimmer, a sealed unit that you can connect to an optional collection cup that shuts down skimmate production when it's full allows for means that you don't have to worry about skimming 5 gallons of salt water out of your system and have it replaced with 5 gallons of fresh water from an auto top off system. No more spills or serious overflows... zero chance of skimmate being dumped back into the tank...how nice! The construction is impressive, they advertise them as not being a toy for good reason, next to them everything else seems like a toy. And then the skimmate - yuck! Best I've EVER been able to get with my previous skimmers, (SeaClone, Prizms..), was a thin dark greenish gunk. After about a 16 hour break in period this skimmer started to produce the foamiest black gunk I have ever smelled! The green tinge is gone in my water, and I don't have to scrape the glass every single day... after less than one week, my algae is disappearing at an amazing rate, and I've already noticed some excellent polyp extension. I can't wait to see the effects of this beauty skimmer long term. It's more versatile than the Euroreefs in that it doesn't run with a riser tube allowing you to either put it in the sump or plumb it externally, though it is undoubtedly a little less "Plug & Play".

I know I paid a lot for it... but I think I wish I would have spent this money the FIRST time...

IslandReefer
08-09-2005, 11:25 AM
You said it, the only drawback is that the becketts aren't plug and play. Also I tune mine about once a week as assorted things and stuff, slowly plug the beckett...esp minute snails.....other than that, I agree this skimmer kicks!
I drive mine with a Mak4 (works great) ...some people who don't get good skimming, with the bullit, have the wrong or not enough pump running it.
Also I would invest in a waste receptical ( ping -pong seal :smile: ) as I get about 4l per week of skimmate and would be emptying the top cup every day.
Just my 2 cents good luck!
PS Safari's prices often are close to J&L + shipping.

rickjames
08-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Another draw back to becketts is that they need some serious pumps to power them compared to needlewheel systems. Glad to hear you got yourself a nice skimmer though.

reeferaddict
08-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Ya I talked to Japarto about one actually.... but since I was actually there, and wanted to see one work before I made up my mind, I figure I saved around $100. I'm driving mine with a Mag 18 seeing as how I needed a submersible pump. You can actually "over drive" them a little to get even more out of them. I don't mind making the adjustments... at least I still get consistent foam... once a week is still better than daily for cleaning and adjustments... all I can say is... buh bye to the algae... and hello to the most crystal clear water I've ever had, save right after a water change...