PDA

View Full Version : Red fuzzy algea

Ruth
08-09-2005, 02:21 AM
I have a bunch of red fuzzy algea growing in my fuge. It is not slimey so I don't think it is cyno. I have put a small powerhead in the fuge to get some more flow happening. There is none of this in the display - just the fuge. Any suggestions?

Dale D
08-09-2005, 02:57 AM
Do you want to get rid of it? Try a seahare or foxface.

Ruth
08-09-2005, 03:15 AM
It does not really bother me that much as long as it stays in the fuge. I keep mine lite 24/7 so don't think a foxface would do too well in there and it is only about 35g so don't know if that is big enough? I am going to Edmonton this weekend. Does anyone know if there are any seahares at any of the stores there?
Is this going to hurt anything if it stays in my fuge? Will the powerhead help?

Dale D
08-09-2005, 03:26 AM
Red hair algea can be a pain if it gets established in the main tank. Seahares tend to starve after they finish off all the algea. See if there is someone out your way that you can borrow/rent one from instead of buying one. That way you can give it back or pass it on to the next person who needs the services of one, after you are finished with it. :biggrin:

Ruth
08-09-2005, 03:38 AM
I'm not likely to find anyone up here with one so my only option would be to buy one and hope that I can find someone to take it once I am done with it. I have a small amount of this in my 20g that was attached to some cheato that I put in there. This stuff is weird though because it almost grows is balls and it is not what I would describe as hairy it is more fuzzy and not at all slimey. It is also not attached firmly to anything like green hair algea gets.
Anyone know if any of the LFS in Edmonton have seahares?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-09-2005, 03:59 AM
My friend has a tuxedo urchin that eats that fuzzy red algae. Another option to consider.

Anthony

Ruth
08-09-2005, 04:03 AM
Thanks Anthony. I'll maybe will look for one of those this weekend if I can't find a seahare.

Dabbler
08-10-2005, 03:32 AM
I feed my Sea Hare those alge wafferes that you feed pleco's I have had him for over 9 months now and he is doing great..no need to starve them :cool:

mark
08-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Aquarium Illusions (780.483.7027) had one a bit back.

Careful with urchins, tried a tuxedo and a long spine to go after some lobophora but seemed both were only interested in coralline.

StirCrazy
08-18-2005, 05:35 PM
does it kinda look like cotton candy?

Steve

Ruth
08-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Yup that's the stuff.

StirCrazy
08-19-2005, 01:52 AM
Yup that's the stuff.

turbo snails from mexico will take care of it awsome, nothing else seams to touch it, ie. tangs, foxface other snails. you might want to get a couple because it will spread alover once it starts and it will cover everything if not kept in check. I posted some pics of my tank when I went through that stuff it wasn't pretty.

Steve