PDA

View Full Version : Zoo's Looking Bad

Mikey B
08-09-2005, 12:38 AM
Hi everyone.
Just as I was thinking Zoo's were indestructible, every polyp on a little frag have shriveled up into skinny little fingers with a blob coming out the top.
The polyps from this frag that have spread to the rock next to the frag are doing fine.

All the other zoos and corals in the tank are doing great.

Is it done for? Does it pose a risk to the tank?

Thanks.

Mike

hockey nut
08-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Sounds like they are done to me, but they are hardy for the most part and might come back. I find if they shrivel up and start to get smaller, like they are melting, they are gone for good.

danny zubot
08-09-2005, 02:38 PM
I've had zoos shrimk down to nothing for a while and then sprout up again. Best thing to do IMO is leave them alone for a while and see if they come back.

Xtasia
08-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Look to see if you have any parasites in the zoo.. there has to be a reason why that one type of zoo was effected but the others are ok..

danny zubot
08-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Some kinds just grow slower and are harder to keep than others. I have 8 different kinds and the red ones grow so slow they'r almost not worth having. All the other ones grow well though.

Bob I
08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Look to see if you have any parasites in the zoo.. there has to be a reason why that one type of zoo was effected but the others are ok..

If there was a parasite on one zoanthid colony, would not all be affected :question:

I have grown a lot of zoos in the past, and I have had similar experiences. We made a frag from a healthy colony at another reefer's place one time. I brought it home where it grew like mad for awhile. Then it suddenly retracted, and no matter what I tried, it died off.

I made two frags from another reefer's colony. They too died off.

I have made hundreds of other frags, and sold them, and never had another problem. It remains a mystery to me. :mad:

Mikey B
08-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the input everyone.

Bob, this is actually one of your frags that is struggling. I bought it from you at the party we had a while back.

It had thrived until a week ago when it seems to have shut down.

I'll take a closer look for some sort of pest.