PDA

View Full Version : cyano

lukep77
08-08-2005, 11:03 PM
What is everyone useing to controle cyano out brakes in there tanks or how to get rid of this stuff.

OCDP
08-08-2005, 11:31 PM
You can...

Manually syphon out the large amounts visible.

And increase your flow, leaving no "dead" spots in the tank. Leaving dead spots allows the cyano to grow much easier.

I'd say by doing both of those you should notice it go away... if not that, then maybe some kind of chemiclean?? I thought I heard that stuff works..

lukep77
08-09-2005, 12:42 AM
I have been picking the stuff out every day. I have lots of flow in there and its still not helping. Has any one used a product called slime be gone.

Nemo
08-09-2005, 01:22 AM
The only thing that helped me was putting in a better skimmer, nothing else worked let alone worked long term.

Matt
08-09-2005, 01:33 AM
We had a couple of outbreaks. I vacuumed off the stuff I could see, reduced my feeding, kept up my weekly water changes and got the best of it. With cyano (and almost all undesireable outbreaks) it's all about the nutrients. If you don't control the triggers, chemical controls will win the battle, but not the war.

lukep77
08-09-2005, 03:14 AM
I recently read of someone useing a snail or a hermit crab that will eat this stuff any one know of any thing that will.

Gizmo
08-09-2005, 03:36 AM
I've had a rather large amount of experience with cyano. This stuff SUX.

Chemiclean, temp sol'n and the bottle says so. Not only that it deprives the water of O2 so you have to really agitate (air stone) the water for a day or two while dosing so you dont literally drown you fish.

Hermit crabs have never touched the stuff, neither have the snails, any shrimp, etc etc. Nothing really eats this stuff.

BEST Solution I've found:

Your phosphate levels are probably through the roof. City water is horrible for that. To fix: Use RO/DI water AND/OR use phosban phosphate remover. This will get those levels down. Cyano LOVES phosphate for some reason and will grow like a weed if those levels are even slightly higher than normal.

Once your levels are to 0 or better :D Use the scrap and suction method to get rid of the remaining cyano. Once the majority of it is gone, and the phosphate levels are down, you should notice the remainder of it dissapate into the skimmer.

Cheers

lukep77
08-09-2005, 03:50 AM
I have been using RO water from big Als in calgary, I havint used tap water in that tank yet.
I use tap water in my fresh water tanks. And I dont have any problems with them.

EmilyB
08-09-2005, 04:38 AM
I have been using RO water from big Als in calgary, I havint used tap water in that tank yet.
I use tap water in my fresh water tanks. And I dont have any problems with them.

I'd be checking out the TDS reading on that RO. :biggrin:

Diana
08-09-2005, 07:42 PM
I used to have it in my freshwater tanks real bad, for a year i havent. Never had it in my nano reef either, but my boyfriend had it in his 33-fish only..... he used chemi-clean i think and it got rid of all of it, and everything survived.

:)

Gizmo
08-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Chemiclean is a great "instant fix" but the reason the cyano started growing in the first place is still an issue.

Beverly
08-09-2005, 11:08 PM
See this link:

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18581&highlight=

lukep77
08-10-2005, 01:03 AM
Thanks beverly

I took rock work apart today and plasted off as much as I could.
I will pick up some Chemiclean.

Is there anothe place that sells RO water?
Maybe I will try getting my water some where else.

lukep77
08-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Well I did all the fianal plumbing on my sump with the new custom tank and cyano is losing it hold. It must of been some thing in the water. I didint add any thing to it just the sump. Thanks for every ones input.
L

scub steve
10-17-2005, 07:24 PM
I had a big problem wih this stuff i pulled every rock out and used a new scrub brush and scubed them clean then swished them around in a pail of nw salt water and put them back in my tank and i bought new skimmer it has been clean from that day on

lukep77
10-18-2005, 02:18 AM
I went out and bought some calcium, I used the stuff to kill the aptasia in my tank and I used it on the little bit of cyano that was left in my tank and it worked wonders. All aptasia and cyano are now gone.