PDA

View Full Version : stupid refugium questions and setup

Hightower
08-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Ok, I have finally setup a refugium, with the goal of nutrient export and pods.
It is above the main tank as a display gravity fed, with the pump pumping up from the sump.

forgive my ignorance, but why is everyone avoiding macro algae that would be asexual. dont you want it to produce so even more is exported?

If thats the case, what are the recommended macro algaes, (or avoid for that matter) and do I need to put live rock in it. Right now I have mineral mud and some live sand in a 10 gal giving it about 2".

Does lighting need to be on a reverse cycle with the tank or 24/7

Also what else to put in? Snails? other critters?

Thanks

christyf5
08-08-2005, 05:43 PM
When macroalgae goes asexual, it releases its gametes into the water column, and the excess nutrients are then passed into your system and you get algae all over the place, not to mention crappy water quality. Growth of macroalgae is good. Reproduction however, it not (at least by asexual means). Some people leave their refugium lighting on 24/7 in order to avoid this.

Chaetomorpha seems to be one of the best/most popular for refugiums at the moment. I don't know about baddies though, perhaps someone else can supply that info.

I haven't got a refugium but am hoping to set one up fairly soon. I seem to have all the parts for it but just need to find some space :biggrin:

Hope that helps a bit

Christy :)

Hightower
08-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Yes thanks for clearing that up.

I have grape caulerpa in there now, so to prevent this until I get cheato, the light should remain on then?

To get pods to reproduce in there, I need to get live rock?

christyf5
08-08-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't know how often/what triggers macros to go asexual, I'm not sure. I would just leave it in there for now.

Perhaps some rubble rock might help. Pods don't need live rock to breed, they just need a quiet area free of predation where they can do their thing.

Heres some reading to get you started though:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/refugium.htm

shotzee
08-08-2005, 05:58 PM
If the lights are on 24/7 the caulerpa shouldn't go asexual. As for the pods, the don't need any live rock. You could throw in a few chucks of live rock for added biological filteration.