PDA

View Full Version : Taller tank switch is it possible?

rudy
08-07-2005, 01:44 AM
I have a couple month old 108 6 foot tank that I am thinking about switching up to a 135 for the height. Is it possible using the same water rock and sand to just move the water from one tank to a couple of holding tanks and then into the new one without to much of an issue?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-07-2005, 02:03 AM
It should be ok. How deep is the sand bed, because deep sand beds have a reputation for releasing nasties into your water when disturbed. If the sand bed is shallow (2" or less) then it shouldn't be a problem. I would have some extra water made up so that if there is a small spike in Ammonia or Nitrite from a mini cycle, then you can quickly do a water change. I used a Mag HOT filter with a micron filter insert to clean the water after disturbing the sand bed.

HTH

Anthony

Psyire
08-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Use the same water and rock but get new sand. This is the perfect time to start your sand bed over, nice and clean.

muck
08-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Use the same water and rock but get new sand. This is the perfect time to start your sand bed over, nice and clean.
His sandbed is only a couple months old...it can't be that dirty. :confused:

danny zubot
08-09-2005, 10:04 PM
I agree, it shouldn't be that bad. I'd still give it a suck as you are removing it though, just to remove excess waste.

rudy
08-09-2005, 10:06 PM
On that do you generally vaccum the sand when you do water changes?

danny zubot
08-09-2005, 11:06 PM
I generally dont, but I do stir the bed every once in a while to release waste for my skimmer to process.