PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

Matt
08-07-2005, 01:06 AM
Hi,

I am just setting up a 37g (24Lx18Wx21H). It currently has a Coralife 24" 2x65w fixture over it, and this will do for a while (it will be a few weeks at least before anything but rock goes on). Soon, though, we will want to add some corals, and that light won't quite do.

I've looked at the 24" aqualight pro (150w HQI, 2x65pc actinic, 2 1w moonlight) and it seems like a pretty nice fixture. I've also been advised to go with a 250w MH pendant. All are pretty expensive -- I know, this is an expensive hobby -- and I'm wondering if the collected wisdom of this group could guide me. I'm no DIY guy. Building my own light out of twigs, speaker wire, recycled pop bottles and duct tape is not my my thing (but I don't mind exploiting the labour of others!).

Regards,
Matthew

impreza
08-07-2005, 06:57 AM
I bought a pendant off ocean encounters website. Shipped to my door at under $350. It is a 250W HQI with a ROIII pendant and EVC Tech ballast. It also came with a bulb! Looks pretty good to me and is very affordable imo. I started with a 24" Coralife fixture like yours, then upgraded to more PC's, then I have finally decided to go with MH's. You won't regret it!

Do it right the first time.

StirCrazy
08-07-2005, 06:58 AM
seeing as the hight is only 21" a 150watt HQI will do, but if you want to spend a bit more and go with the 250's they will be good also. the benifit of getting the 250's is that if down the road you want to get a bigger tank you already have lights for it and thus save money in the long run.

And while the 150's will work the 250's will work even better.

Steve