PDA

View Full Version : I'm NOT having fun

marie
08-04-2005, 10:28 PM
First a little background, my husband is a highway truck driver and only gets home every 3 weeks.
On his way home, I often get him to stop at fishy stores in Vancouver, where he not only gets what I've asked for but also picks up things he thinks I might like. This time it was a blue lobster, very cool looking. I put the lobster in my angel/tang fish tank where it could get into the least amount of trouble and it carried on it's little lobstery way, minding his own business.
The fish were very upset and after 2 weeks of complaining, the sixline jumped, the flame angel wedged herself under some rocks and died :cry:, the tang has ick and the majestic angel is seriously sick with ick complications.

The lobster has now been removed to a 20g of his own and the cleaner shrimp is working overtime trying to remove the ick from the tang.
The majestic angel is not doing so well, it looks like someone dipped her in flour, even her eyes are affected and the inside of her mouth is covered in white making it hard to eat (she still manages though). Does anyone know what this might be and how to treat it?

And to top it all off, the Acan frags I bought from estey (which were supposed to arrive today by priority courier) appear to have been held up because of the airplane accident in toronto, so they are probably going to be dead
Maybe I should take up a less stressful hobby...

christyf5
08-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Geez what a nightmare. :sad: I feel your pain. Try garlic if the fish are still eating. I hope everyone pulls through, including you! :biggrin:

marie
08-04-2005, 11:12 PM
I've been using so much garlic my house smells like an italian restaurant :lol:

christyf5
08-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Haha sounds like my house a month ago. :mrgreen:

Nemo
08-04-2005, 11:17 PM
If it is bad and not getting better you may try a UV steralizer

ref leppard
08-05-2005, 01:55 AM
Hi
Marie

It
sounds like your angel has velvet,thats bad worst than ick.I would get some neon gobies . J&L has many in stock.If there is no other option buy copper & test kit.That what I would do. GOOD LUCK!

marie
08-05-2005, 02:45 AM
Ok, I've done some reading on velvet, it sounds like it could be it, except that the visible white dusting is supposed to be the advanced stages and the angel has looked like this since fri/sat. Would she still be alive after this long? Also the tang is showing no signs and velvet is supposed to be very contagious.

Copper treatment will have to be a last resort because moving her will be stressful and stress brought this on in the first place. Besides the lobster has my quarantine tank.

Neon gobies are the easiest (if they work) but it will probably be mon or tues before I can get them here...sigh

christyf5
08-05-2005, 03:15 AM
Marie,

Neon gobies do work (well on ick anyways). I bought a couple the last time I was in vancouver, they were on the fish with in 30 mins of being in the tank and the fish love it! :biggrin:

ref leppard
08-05-2005, 03:28 AM
If the fish are eating ,thats agood sign.Angels are a? on copper.I treated my Lemon ,Flame with copper .The Lemon is still with me ,not the flame . :mad:

Chaloupa
08-05-2005, 05:58 AM
Sounds like velvet to me...I had a very robust healthy Niger Trigger, Strawberry Pseudochromis, yellow wrasse, True Percula, all doing well, then I added a Kole Tang and a Valentini....well the Valentini met the powerhead and from there...I lost the Tang first, then the Pseudochromis, then finally the clown, the Trigger had been evac'd out and the yellow wrasse didn't become affected at all....Velvet hit my tank and hit it hard and suddenly...it sucked. Good luck to you...I know we took the clown out and tried to treat him with Copper but he just didn't make it...his chances were slim but ...UGH! we almost took the tank down...but put a UV on it for 2 weeks with the remaining wrasse, water changed lots...and now are adding fish again.

TNTCanada
08-06-2005, 05:12 AM
Sorry to here about your pains hope eveything pulls through

Cheers
Tyler

marie
08-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Well the acans died :cry:. 2 of them died before they got here and the other one has just a few bits of flesh left.

On a good note the majestic angel is still alive and eating, doesn't look so majestic at the moment though

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Hope the online seller has an arrive alive guarantee.

Anthony

marie
08-08-2005, 04:42 PM
This would be one of those days I'd like to do over again... or better yet skip it entirely. My majestic angel died, my suv was stolen and I turned 43 :bad-word:

christyf5
08-08-2005, 05:22 PM
:cry:

(not about the 43 part though :wink:)

ref leppard
08-09-2005, 01:43 AM
Hi Marie
Sorry about your angel and your awesome suv.Hope you are leaving the tank fishless for at least a month.One more thing Happy 43rd Birthday!. :new-bday: I'm older than you,so don't feel like an old reefer. :mrgreen:

marie
08-09-2005, 02:09 AM
Hi Marie
Sorry about your angel and your awesome suv.Hope you are leaving the tank fishless for at least a month.One more thing Happy 43rd Birthday!. :new-bday: I'm older than you,so don't feel like an old reefer. :mrgreen:
I'll have to leave my yellow tang in there for a few weeks to make sure he's healthy, then I'll remove him and leave the tank empty for 2 months.

Bob I
08-11-2005, 07:53 PM
I am baffled (or dumb), but what's an acan :question: :question:

marie
08-11-2005, 08:11 PM
I am baffled (or dumb), but what's an acan :question: :question:

Acanthastrea, an lps coral :biggrin:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/new%20and%20noteworthy/AcanthFrag.jpg

Saltysteve
08-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Nice :biggrin:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-08/ebac/index.php